Chartreuse

Jayden spent the walk to lunch the next day staring at Luke Rockets's ass.

"We get it," said Awsten, "you want to stick your dick in him. Now can you stop staring?"

"It's fine," said Jayden, quickening his pace. "It just looks like I'm eyeing the chick next to him."

"He's probably not even gay," said Awsten.

"Don't care-hey, Ini!" said Jayden. Awsten glanced at the dude who'd just walked up.

"What's up?" said Inigo as he hitched onto their clique. Within seconds, he had captured Jayden's attention completely, and Awsten was left to gently guide them to their usual lunch table.

The usual suspects-Jawn, Zakk, Derek, and Ryan-were already on the usual side of the bleachers, and the other side was fully occupied by what Awsten called "the Fucktastic Four." Vic and Kellin fucked every night. Jack and Alex probably fucked at least once a week. Both couples had been dating since last spring, and they were all perfect for each other. After all, thought Awsten, who else would Jack and Alex ever find?

"Awsten!" called Jawn. "How are your short bus friends?"

The others chuckled as Awsten, slightly pissed, sat down by Zakk. "They're not my friends." Out of the corner of his eye, he caught Jayden hiding a small smile, and balled up his fists. "I swear."

"Really?" said Zakk. "I thought you liked Jack and Alex."

Jack, from the other side of the bleachers, turned his head. "Who likes us?"

"It's nothing," said Awsten, flustered.

"Doesn't sound like nothing," said Jack.

"Seriously, dude," said Awsten, an unintentional dismissive edge to his voice, "go back to kissing your boyfriend or something."

Jack narrowed his eyes and turned away.

"I still can't believe you actually signed up to do that," said Jawn.

"Yeah," said Zakk. "I mean, I knew you were a good Christian boy, but I didn't think you'd actually..." He trailed off and Awsten looked down at the asphalt.

"Come on," muttered Awsten, "they're not that bad."

"Still," said Jawn, "it's funny that you hate woodshop so much that you'd do that to get out of it."

"What? I don't trust myself around tools."

"You're basically TA-ing for a class of tools," said Jawn, earning another chuckle.

"They're not-"

"And you let yourself be seen in the hallway with that retarded kid," said Jawn between snickers. "I saw you trying to talk to it."

"It?" said Awsten.

"It," pressed Jawn.

"I saw that too," said Zakk. "It was being creepy or something."

"Did you hear any of it?" murmured Awsten.

"Your face said it all, man," said Jawn. "And the way it was trying to talk to you? You're dumb."

"Jesus," said Awsten. "It's not like I can get out of it now."

"I feel bad for you," said Jawn. "You're stuck with enough mental cases as is." He inclined his head toward Alex.