The 5 R's

Refuse
Refuse items that are non-compostable or are not reusable. By saying no you are letting the company know your not interested in their wasteful ways (bonus if you email the company letting them know WHY you won't be accepting/purchasing their products). Overall these cheap low quality items will cost you more in the long run than if you bought a more expensive high quality alternative in the beginning.
Reduce
Buy less items that are non-compostable. Buy less items in general as realistically you don't need 5 pairs of the same jeans- just one ☝🏻 this will help preserve resources. (Minimalism ties in a bit here!) instead of having 5 different types of soap (shampoo, hand soap, body wash, laundry detergent & dish soap) just have 1 soap that you can use for everything... Castile Soap is the best invention I have discovered!
Reuse
Reuse any items that you can such as glass containers. Repurpose your items: make a mouth wash using an old maple syrup bottle, or use all those glass jars you got laying around for storing spices in. So many things you can create by reusing items. You should also look into reusable items such as razors, Cotten rounds, towels, etc.
Recycle
Recycle any items you can ♻️ if you do end up with plastics at all check your area to see what's recyclable and keep what's not.
Rot
Compost any items that are able to be composted.