Chapter 3 - Blessed

You know all those really sappy quotes that tell all you need to do to be happy is to just be yourself. I'd always thought that it was all just a big load of bullshit. A bunch of hippie nonsense from people who had never known what it means to be sad or hurt or oppressed.

But you know what? I think they were on to something.

Because you see, ever since I followed their bullshit hippie advice, I have been happier than I have ever been in my entire life. I mean, sure, my mother pretty much refuses to acknowledge me as a daughter. And my father has a constant aura of worry around him whenever he looks at me (although I swear that there is pride somewhere in that look). But, other than that, everything is great. I finally got rid of all the god-ugly pink dresses and skirts, I'm able to shift, something that the wolfsbane had always prevented me from doing and I feel better than I have in my entire life. It is fantastic.

One of the best things to come out of this is my wolf. I'd never been able to speak to her, the wolfsbane weakened her too much. But, when I stopped taking it, I finally was able to contact her. She did not yet have a name, as she had never had the chance to be named, so I decided to call her Jaiyana, a beautiful Arabic name that meant strength because I knew that she was still strong despite the wolfsbane. I honestly don't know how I ever managed without her. She is my best friend. The only one who is there for me no matter what (even if it is just because she doesn't have a choice). And shifting. Oh Goddess, how do I even begin to describe shifting? It is simply the greatest thing I have ever experienced. The wind flowing through my fur, the beauty of the forest rushing past me as I run at impossible speeds. Not to mention, my beautiful wolf. My wolf is large, almost the size of an Alpha's, my fur the colour of caramel with small blonde patches on my left eye and tail, my eyes a silvery grey that almost seems to shine. I love my wolf form so much, it is simply gorgeous, not to mention powerful. Really, REALLY powerful.

Anyway, today is the first day of my senior year and honestly, I'm not dreading it the way I used to. I know for a fact that no one will be picking on me today. Oh no, because they know what I am. And if they don't, they'll find out real fast.

I smile at the thought as I practically jump out of my bed, excited to get to school. Not because I love school or anything, I just can't wait to see the looks on their faces when they see me. I'm almost sure they won't recognise me at all, that's how much I've changed over the summer, specifically in the style department. Once I got rid of those hideous pink dresses, I decided that it was time for a complete wardrobe overhaul. And, much to the dismay of my mother, the clothes I really liked, really felt like wearing consisted of a lot of leather, pants and, most prominently, the colour black. What can I say, it goes with everything... and I look great in black, just saying.

I go into my closet and pick out an outfit for the day, laying it out on my bed before heading into my ensuite bathroom, looking forward to a mildly scalding shower to shake the remnants of sleep from my mind. I emerge 5 minutes later, wrapped in a towel and smelling of vanilla and cinnamon from my favourite shower products. I pull on the ripped black skinny jeans and a wide strapped leather tank top that I picked before taking my shower, pairing it with a pair of black combat boots. I walk back into the bathroom to blow dry my hair, tying a black bandana around it as a headband when it's dry, leaving a few tendrils to frame my face. I apply some black eyeliner and a bright red lipstick, these two things having become my signature look over the summer, simple but dramatic. Walking back into my room, I head for my jewellery box, picking a black leather choker with a silver ring in the centre, small black stone earrings, a studded black leather cuff bracelet and some angel wing ear cuffs before adorning my fingers with a collection of rings. I smile whilst looking in my full-length mirror, pleased with my look. Oh, those assholes won't know what hit them.