Sitting By the Sidewalk, Hugging

"I don't know about this," Stiles said, sighing and tugging at his white undershirt.

"Ah ah, you have to do this, yeah? Everyone that's in the FBI goes to this thing, which means you also have to. Now let me see,"

Stiles turned around, a little hesitant. He usually doesn't do expensive clothing. It feels like it will break only by touching the soft fabric.

"I look dumb, Lyds" Stiles protested. His hair was sticking out like he'd just woken up from a slumber party. His black vest looking far too formal, but yet not enough. He didn't want to go to this meet up, but also he wanted to meet some new people, perhaps making some friends.

"Enough with that! You look good, and if Malia was here, she'd agree with me," Lydia told him, staring him down, daring him to argue with her.
Since he didn't want to lose his testicle, he stayed silent. "How long before you have to be there?"

"About an hour," he replies, only getting more nervous. If he screwed this up, his future career would be at stake. If he said the wrong thing, made the wrong impression.

What if he acted childish? People would think he would never get a case done.
If he was too serious? People would think of him as an arrogant douche.

He had to be perfect. Act perfect.

"Don't worry about it, son. They will love you, just as us at the station does. You will make everyone look lame in comparison," His father had said. Looking proud and happy for his son.

"Then you better get going," Lydia said, turning her heel, and walking out the door.

Yes. Then he better get going.

-

The room was big, very elegant and styleish. Over the sound of glasses coming together in a cheer, he could hear people talking, laughing.

He had spoken to loads of different people, getting good impressions from most of them.
There was Kylie, who had decided to leave her small town in Ohio, to come to New York and become someone who could make a change.
She seemed cheerful and someone Stiles could come to recognize as a friend.

Then there was Marco, a great guy, but who had a slight competitive side. He told Stiles four times about how he'd scored higher than anyone in his class, in multiple subjects. He had also smiled and told Stiles that he looked forward to work with him, but had to get back to his boyfriend, who was his plus one.

Stiles would've brought Lydia, but she and Malia had had other plans, so that left Stiles alone. He didn't really mind though, it felt kind of nice to not having to bother anyone, and just do something solo.

Scott was always kept busy nowadays with veterinary business, but of course still made time for Stiles, and the pack whenever he could.

Scott was, after all, the Alpha. He wouldn't get rid of the pack even if he so happened to grow tired of them.

Someone bumped into his shoulder, breaking him out of his trans, and into reality.

"Oh, I'm really so-" mystery man began and Stiles recognized that surprisingly soft voice, it had been years, but how could he have forgotten? He looked up into green- or where they grey?- eyes. "Stiles?"

"Derek." Stiles stated, totally dumbfounded. And when Stiles thought he couldn't be surprised anymore. Of course Derek would prove him wrong.
Derek. Derek was in NYC. At the FBI summer meet up. "Derek. You're alive!" Stiles exclaimed, them realized how stupid he sounded, "Well obviously you're alive! But you're here, at this" he waved around with his hand ",thing"