Preview - The Preemptive Signs

FINALLY, I'M ON THIS ONE!! I LOVE THIS ONE!! STOIC HIDE IS SO F-ING AWESOME; I LOVE HIM!!

"Kaneki. Kaneki. Kaneki. Kaneki, okite."

At first, it was just waking up to the voice. Haise could've sworn he saw the holder of the voice, too, but if he had, the person faded away before he could even wake up fully.

Confusion ensued.

--------------------------------------

Then, it became hallucinating. Haise would see a head of orange in crowds, but it faded almost as quickly as it came.

Haise categorized the strange person into his hallucinations due to insanity- he categorized the boy with his old self.

----------------------------------------

Then came the dreams.

Sometimes, they were soft, and when Haise woke up, the only thing they left was the comforting tingle as if something had warmed his heart and was slowly fading away. Like an echo. Or a lingering touch.

Other times, he'd wake up screaming and gasping and crying. He still didn't remember the dream, but his heart was heavy, and a gory image lingered under his eyelids, to be felt.. but not to be seen.

On those nights, he didn't wake up to the boy's soft voice. The dream hadn't been over when he woke up, he knew that much. The Quinx Squad woke him up from the horrid nightmare.

But somehow.. somewhere.. he felt someone watching with slight disappointment, as if he didn't like the fact that the attention - the time to be spent with Haise himself - had been given to someone else.

------------------------------------

Then it abruptly stopped. The dreams, the hallucinations, the soft voice whispering in his head, it all stopped.

Three days later, a new member to Haise's squad.