Tortures and Comfort

Leo Valdez was well aware that he was flying a giant flying ancient Greek Warship across Texas. He just hoped that the news people wouldn’t notice. The last thing he needed was the Air Force on his tail. Leo had to find his son and nothing was going to get in his way. He had a fully armed Greek warship and a flaming dragon, The Air Force as nothing but a nuisance to him.

To be honest, Leo had no idea where to start looking. The Dark Lord could frankly be anywhere, Rome,Greece, Las Vegas. The first step on Leo’s plan was to get the attention of Camp Half Blood; the Seven could recognize the Argo 2 in a heartbeat. That’s what Leo was counting on. For nine years he had pledged himself to be alone, but even though Leo hated to admit it, He couldn’t do this alone. Leo Valdez needed his friends.

 Leo ran his hands over the smooth interior of the Argo 2, his pride and joy. The Argo 2 was his favorite creation. Leo had spent so much time on the Argo 2 and he was happy to be flying it again, even if it did bring back painful memories of Calypso.  Sitting in the corner of the control room sat the little crib made of twigs and leaves that Calypso had placed Sammy in years ago.

Suddenly, Leo felt himself growing overwhelmed with anger. He kicked the crib forcefully before leaning over and grabbing the crib and throwing it over the edge. He watched with a slight glee as the crib fell into twigs and leaves as it fell from the sky. Calypso meant nothing to him.

Leo’s face was wet. He didn’t even notice that he had started to cry. That was the crib in which he had realized that Sammy was his son and that he really cared about him. That was the crib where Leo had realized for the first time how much Sammy truly meant to him. That was the crib where Leo started to feel that he perhaps wasn’t completely alone. That was the crib that Sammy had first arrived in. Leo had made something so pure and innocent, and now that perfect thing was missing.

Leo punched the wall again. He was making habit of that. Before long his hand was going to hold permanent bruises and cuts. His hand was throbbing, which was the result of him constantly punching walls.

Leo needed help. He couldn’t do it on his own anymore. His vision was clouded by tears. He was supposed to protect Sammy, that’s his job as a father and Leo was so incapable that he couldn’t even protect his own offspring. Leo couldn’t help but feel angry at himself, but also angry at this so called Dark Lord. No one touched his son.

“Leo!” A voice called from behind Leo. Leo’s shaking body started to relax once he heard Jason’s voice. That’s just what he needed his friends. Leo took in a deep breath and turned around. Percy and Jason were standing on the deck of the ship, well not exactly on the deck. Their images were shimmering due to the Iris Message. Leo’s sad and angry face broke into the first grin in 3 days.

“Percy! Jason! You have no idea how much I needed to see your faces!” Leo exclaimed trying to push his sadness and anger as far away as possible. His fake happiness started to overwhelm his body, a trick he’s been practicing for years.

“Yeah, Man, we missed you too. Now come get us. We’re going to help you.” Jason commented through the message. Leo’s heart swelled as he realized that his friends still cared about him even after all these years of Leo avoiding their contact.

“I can be at Camp Half Blood in an hour or so.” Leo told them as turned his attention back to the odd controls of the Argo 2. Leo felt himself fall back into the routine, into the bliss of working a machine. This was Leo’s passion. Not selling and fixing car parts, although he was good at that. His passion was flying the Argo 2 saving the world, no matter the pain and suffering that followed. Saving the world made Leo feel wanted.

“Sounds great man,” Percy told him and just like that the message was over.

Leo put his hands on the table leaning over slightly and took in a deep breath. He leaned back and popped his back quickly picking up the Wii remote. “Camp Half Blood, here I come.”