"Our Story," Said Chance Matthews

"Why does our story have to begin with a question? Why does our story start with a lonely girl in a booth at River's Diner? Why did that guy walk up to her booth when he knew he couldn't help her? Why did he sit across from her? Why did he look into her teary eyes when she looked up at him? How come he listened when she told him that she wanted to die? When she described just how she wanted to kill herself? When did she grab his hand to tell me to stop her from doing anything? Why did he fall in love with a girl who was crying her eyes out because she got diagnosed with cancer?" Tears dripped from Chance's eyes. He held the hand of a weak, tired, bald, and pale Jessica. She laid in the white sheets of a hospital bed. Tubes hanging on racks swayed side to side. Needles stuck out from her body in at least three different places.

"I love you, Jessica." Chance squeezed Jessica's hand. "My life began the day yours needed protecting, but I couldn't protect you, I still can't. I was just some stupid twenty-five year old who saw a sad, gorgeous woman who I thought I could cheer up. But then you started telling me about your doctor appointment, you didn't even know me, but then you said I couldn't let you kill yourself. Even though I didn't know anything about you I felt like I had to help you.

"I got to know you better, a lot better and we spent week after week, day after day, hour after hour, and minute after minute together. After a few months of being together, you started bringing me to your church. I met your dad, your mom, your older brother Troy and his wife Jan, and your younger sister Cheryl, I loved your family too. Then the doctors put you through Chemotherapy that week. You lost your beautiful brown hair.

"My hair was long for a dude. I always wore it in a bun, but sometimes I wore it down. I said I was going to shave my hair so you could have it, but you laughed at me. You said you had a better idea. Instead of cutting my hair off and giving it you I should just shave it off so we can be bald together. I laughed and told you that was ridiculous, in the end, I cut my hair off.

"I went back to work for my dad, so I could pay for all your medical bills. My father said what I was doing for you was selfless. Even though at the time we had only dated for a year he knew I was in love with you. He told me I should marry you, I never told him, no, but I didn't say yes either. Just because he saw how passionate I was, he started paying for the best treatment.

"When we went to church Sunday I asked God to forgive me of my sins. Pastor Kevin talked with me and we planned to Baptize me next Sunday.

"Another thing was that your father told me he prayed to God that I  would marry you soon. The rest of your family agreed. So Cheryl and Jan took me ring shopping. They told me they were there just so I went the right jewelry shop." Chance laughed. "I do love pawn shops, but they wouldn't let me go to one. We went to probably six jewelry shops, I never got a ring from any of them and you should know that.

"The next day you and I were driving around town when I stopped at Joe's Pawn Shop. My father owned a multi-million dollar company that I now co-own, so I could pay for any ring but pawn shops just seemed so real. Everything in a pawn shop had a story. I took you into the pawn shop and you weren't surprised that we were here because we come all the time. We made a tradition for when coming here. We'll buy something, make up a backstory for it then give it away to someone who could use it. This time I found a ring, the perfect ring for you." Chance looked at the ring on Jessica's left hand. It was a thin gold band that twisted into an infinity symbol. Inside both of the curls was one diamond. "Right after I bought it, I turned around and showed you the ring. And I remember exactly what I said 'this ring doesn't have a story yet, but we can make one, together,' I got down on one knee and spoke four simple words, 'will you marry me?' You screamed yes like a million times. You kissed me then. Before that kiss, I can't recall that we had any other kisses, but every kiss after that I did remember.

"Our wedding was small. We didn't have a ring bearer, flower girl, or any bridesmaids or groomsman. The only thing we did have was the best man and maid-of-honor. My best man was my only friend, besides you, Reggie. Your maid-of-honor was Cheryl. I didn't really have friends before I met you, you told me the same. We became best friends and that day we became husband and wife.

"Our honeymoon was amazing. We went to Africa to help out families with food and water. We came back to our new home in the states three months later with Kyle, whom we adopted down in Africa. When Kyle turned a year old we had a huge party. Your older brother and his wife brought their three-year-old Toni. She held Kyle's hand when he walked. I think they're gonna be friends.

"Then your sister started talking to Reggie. When you found out you were so excited, but I had to rush you to the hospital that afternoon. My father started paying for a stronger Chemo and it helped you.

"A year and a half past and we were at the park with Kyle, who is now two. Your body starts to hurt and I rushed you here." Chance looked into the teary eyes of Jessica. "I'm only twenty-eight and you're only twenty-seven, but I'll love you even when you go to Heaven to be with God."

"I love you." Jessica gave a weak smile. "I wouldn't change anything about our story, Chance. Not even the part where I said I wanted to die because I would've never asked for your help, we wouldn't have become friends or fell in love and most of all you might have never found God. That story you just told me, it's everything, it's..." A tear slid down Jessica's face when Chance kissed her hand.

"Our Story," said Chance Mathews.