30 | The Great Battle

Armed with three hundred powerful warriors, the rebels brought a battalion of archers, bowmen, and swordsmen. Reinforced with trebuchets and mages who could cast long-range spells, they halted before us. All of them wore helmets with horns and armor with deadly spikes.

The Khatanese, Halcíans, and Dragonborn raised their weapons and roared in unison.

"Oh, gods!" Lena cried. "My father's fighting with them."

"Lena? Lena!" her father yelled over the din. "We're coming to rescue you from that devil-wraith."

A deep rumble rose from the doldrum's of Dahlroth's chest. How dare he? I saved his daughter--your friend--from certain death! Lord Hesse would have hanged her for her crimes.

"I know," I murmured as I stroked his tough scales. "You did the right thing."

"No, father!" Lena shouted. "Go home! I'm fine! It's not like that!"

Normally we would have had to kowtow and run before such an army. With Dahlroth in his draconic form, the rebels didn't stand a chance, even considering the formidable Khatanese warriors.

Speak for me, Dahlroth said.

"You have come to take Castle Eismark, but you are no match for a mighty ice dragon," I said, repeating Dahlroth's words verbatim. "Leave now, and your men will be spared."

"You have an ice dragon," the Khatanese leader said, "but we have something even better."

"What can rival a mighty ice drake?" I asked, jutting my chin.

"We have a Shadow Rider fighting for us, your leader Lord Darius von Kratvach."

At that, the trainees gasped and murmured in shock, and the leader from Khatán grinned at us. "Your own leader has fled. Give up now, and we will let you live as slaves at the castle."

"If you have a Shadow Rider, show him to us," I demanded.

"He is ... indisposed at the moment and supporting us from afar."

"Ha!" I exclaimed. "That's interesting because last I checked we stole him back. We know for a fact that he no longer fights within your ranks."

Murmurs undulated in waves from the enemy.

"Your Shadow Rider now stands as a mighty dragon ready to defend us," I shouted. "So, by all means, do try to storm Castle Eismark. I dare you."

I didn't say 'I dare you', Dahlroth said.

"I did," I muttered under my breath.

"Helena, how could you join with the forces of evil?" a familiar rebel voice shouted.

When I looked down at the fighters below, I gasped when I saw my father's best friend, Salias. His children and I played together for years, and he often helped Papa procure rare items for experiments.

I knew him well.

"We all loved you!" he shouted. "How can you fight for them when your father gave his life for you?"

"Tell your rebels to leave!" I ordered, ignoring Dahlroth's words. "You have no right to attack us."

"You could have used a dragon to win back Halcía!" Salias roared. "We could have been free! How could you defile your father's sacrifice like this?"

"If you wanted freedom," I sneered, "you shouldn't have attacked my friends."

"Enough talk!" the Khatanese ruler shouted. "If you refuse to surrender, we will kill you all."