Chapter One: Liam

• Didedikasikan kepada My father, who believes in me...

Who’s the new guy?

He’s cute, I wonder who he is…

Who’s the emo?

Oh! New guy, how interesting…

The thoughts drifted through my head as I walked through the crowded cafeteria. I sighed in frustration as a stupid thought from a cheerleader acknowledged my appearance with thoughts that would be deemed inappropriate in the eyes of her father. I began to ignore the thoughts, as I’m used to them, guess that’s just one of the perks of being the son of a seer and a vampire…

The name’s Liam, Liam O’Dea, and I’m the new kid at Parkes High School. What? Oh you’re still hung up on the “son of a seer and vampire” thing aren’t you? Let me explain that to you. My mum’s a seer, or one with the “sight”, as in, she can see the future and my dad’s a vamp, you know, a real bloodsucking vampire. Pretty simple really. Wait, now you’re wondering ‘But vampires and seers aren’t real, then how do you exist?’ Well if you let me explain…

The world is not what it seems. Simple as that, there’s vampires, seers, witches, demons, pretty much anything supernatural, we’ve got it, except giants, they’re extinct. My parents met in Romania, mum’s a member of a gypsy clan, and dad just happened to be hunting in the area, he and mum met and, sensing the seer in her, he decided not to kill her. Mum saw through her visions what he was, but also saw the affection he would feel for her eventually. Dad said he felt a strong connection with her, and he persuaded her, never giving up. Eventually she gave him a chance, and eventually the two got married and I came along five years later. Never in the years they were together, did dad attempt to hurt her, never. When I was born, there were a few complications, and she almost died in childbirth. Dad saved her by turning her into a vampire, it worked, and they’ve been together since then. Being the son of a vampire, I’ve been given the eternal life gene but also the must drink blood to survive gene also. From mum I was given the gift of being able to walk in the sun and a soul, so I don’t do the killing. I’ve also been given the gift and the curse of hearing everybody’s thoughts. It’s frustrating, but I’d rather have that than the sight. Oh one other thing, I don’t like crosses and holy water, it gives me ‘vampire face fever’ as I like to call it.

Anyway, lets return to the present day. I’m eighteen years old and it’s my first day at Parkes High School, Los Angeles, California. We moved here a week ago, mainly due to the fact that my parents were finally driven out of Ireland, and we had to relocate. Normally we would move to a location that doesn’t have much sun, but mum and dad believed I should live the life of a normal teenager, so we moved to L.A. and I enrolled in school.

I paid for my lunch (I can eat normal food too) and made my way to a table in the corner that was empty. I started eating my ham sandwich (which tasted disgusting by the way) and began to listen to the thoughts of the other students. Some were interesting, like a girl, Katie who had broken up with her boyfriend of two weeks and is now going out with Troy from the football team, and there was the boring ones like Timmy, who was doing calculus all in his head. Many of the thoughts were mainly about me, many of the girls admiring my appearance, and the boys planning to kill me if I go near their girlfriends and blah, blah, blah.

He’s not human…

I snapped my head up as a loud thought passed. I looked around, but seeing nobody who could have matched the voice in my head. I shrugged my shoulders and continued eating.

Not vampire. That’s for sure...

I choked on my coke as another thought drifted through. After I regained my composure, I looked once around once again. This time, my eyes caught hold of a girl sitting in the opposite corner of the cafeteria. She was small, with brunette hair held back with a clip. She was looking at me, studying me. I stared back, until she broke eye contact and returned eating.