Chapter 9: Maria

It felt like high school all over again, just waiting for his reply. His name was Bud and he was twenty-nine years old. His name wasn't exactly the best, but that was his name and there was nothing I could do about it. I wasn't sure what he worked in, but he seemed to be busy all of the time. My curiosity was threatening to get the best of me but considering how terribly my last few dating attempts had been, I didn't want to pry. Our conversations, though superficial in the sense that we didn't know anything like occupation or family stuff, were somehow still deep. Well actually, he knew a lot about me, but I didn't know much about him. We hadn't made any plans to go out yet though, not since he had suggested we continue our 'wedding plans' over dinner. I wasn't going to push it, so I was waiting on him.

In the meantime, our conversations would stretch an entire day since he told me his job kept him from texting a lot. Still, he wanted to know all about my studies and path to becoming a psychologist. It was amazing how much he listened and considered every word that I typed out. There were good feelings, for sure, but at the same it made me feel terrible. I was such a sad and lonely girl, that the attention of a single guy was having this much of an effect on me. That was awful and if he ever got bored with me, it would really hurt.

I pushed that thought out of my head. The moment it was gone, his screen name lit up my phone.

DarkValleyStranger: How are you tonight? :)

MARIAnCrane: Didn't you say goodnight already? xD

DarkValleyStranger: You were the one to say goodnight first 😛

MARIAnCrane: Well I figured you were working

DarkValleyStranger: I am, but I made a little time to see how you are :)

MARIAnCrane: I'm great, how are you?

DarkValleyStranger: I'm wonderful now that I get to talk to you

MARIAnCrane: That's really sweet ☺️

DarkValleyStranger: What are you up to tonight?

MARIAnCrane: Just a bit of studying and my old roommate is coming over

DarkValleyStranger: Oh good, you won't be alone. That Mannequin Killer has me worried :/

MARIAnCrane: I know me too, especially for my ex-roommate, I mean what if she crosses paths with this psycho?

DarkValleyStranger: Do you really think he's a psycho? In your professional opinion

MARIAnCrane: That's the wrong term to use. He may be mentally ill, and is in need of some proper mental care

DarkValleyStranger: Well he'd be lucky to have you as a doctor

MARIAnCrane: Haha, he'd probably hate me

DarkValleyStranger: Or maybe he'd fall in love, you do have that effect

MARIAnCrane: are you saying you're falling in love with me? XD

DarkValleyStranger: Oh, don't you go analyzing me now, haha

MARIAnCrane: Oops 😂 sorry

MARIAnCrane: ... umm, do you think maybe we should switch to texting?

DarkValley Stranger: Why?

MARIAnCrane: Don't you find it to be kind of a pain to be on this app all day long?

DarkValleyStranger: I suppose it is rather tedious to continue on the app

DarkValleyStranger: But wouldn't you agree that we should get to know each other better, first?