We've Had Two Years Too Many

Two years into the challenge. Surprisingly, no love has been confessed.

It had been bothering Sharna all day. More like all day for the past two years.

It needed to be done.

She was silent most of the night, which kind of caught Val off gaurd. He knew something was up.

She found him quietly washing dishes after they had eaten.

"Okay, Val, I can't do this anymore."

"Do what anymore, Babe?" He turned away from the sink.

His eyes locked with hers before she began talking again.

"This! I can't take the silence anymore!"

He looked slightly confused.

"Val..." She exhaled quite loudly and looked dead into his eyes that were more like emerald lasers piercing her soul. "I love you. I seriously, whole heartedly, deeply, madly, truly love you."

He stood there in silence until it hit him.

"You just...I haven't...you just....but the challenge...and...the words....and you said them and..." He stammered.

"Yes! I couldn't take it! It was gnawing at me!"

"So, I guess you lose."

"Wait, Love, what do I lose? We never discussed it."

"Maybe you should lose two things, one for each year the challenge went on."

"So, we're going to lose something, not the challenge?"

"I guess?"

"Alright, sounds fair, V. What two things do I lose?"

"Your birthday ring."

"What?! But--"

"The challenge."

She exhaled and handed it to him.

"And..." He thought hard as he walked closer to Sharna. He came close enough to her to slip the ring on her left hand, instead of her right hand. "You've just lost your last name, Miss. Sharna May."