14: araneae, theraphosidae, latrodectus

They decided to wait as long as possible before "following the spiders" - none of them wanted to voluntarily venture into the Forbidden Forest. With the disappearance of Dumbledore, the school was thrown into a constant state of fear. Everyone traveled in packs between lessons and no one ventured out of their common rooms on their own. Percy did his best to look for spiders in between classes, but because security had gotten so tight, it was nearly impossible. Harry was also trying his best but without much luck. Ron, however, refused to even think about going after the spiders. The only person in the entire school who looked to be enjoying themselves was Draco Malfoy. A bit less than a week after Dumbledore and Hagrid are taken away, Percy, Harry, and Ron overheard Malfoy talking in Potions. He was doing it rather loudly, too - it was hard to ignore.

"I'm just surprised that all of the mudbloods haven't packed their bags and run away as far as possible by now. It's a pity no one's died yet, though." There were murmurs of agreement from the Slytherins around him. Percy did his best to block them out by counting how many eel eyes he had to add to his potion. "I'll bet you five galleons that the next one does die. I just wish it were Granger." Next to Percy, Ron suddenly lurched and made to stand, furious. Percy and Harry both immediately put their hands on his shoulders, pushing him back onto his stool.

"Just ignore him," Harry whispered. Ron didn't say anything and continued to violently chop up his crocodile heart, his face set in a murderous scowl.

Ernie Macmillan, one of the main people accusing Harry of being the heir, came up to Harry during Herbology. "Listen, mate," he started, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly. "I'm sorry for suspectin' you of being the heir. I know you would never be wantin' to hurt your friends. And what with Hermione Granger being petrified an' all, I know it wasn't you. So, sorry, I guess." He hurried away back to his friends, looking sheepish.

"Well, that's an improvement," Percy said.

Harry suddenly grabbed Percy's shoulder and shook him roughly. "Percy, look." He pointed at one of the windows across the greenhouse.

"What? I don't - oh." Percy had spotted what Harry was pointing at. There was a line of spiders scuttling out of the open window, marching in a completely straight line. They were headed for the Forbidden Forest. "Are we going tonight?"

Harry nodded. "Tonight."

"I don't want to be the one to break the news to Ron."

"Percy, sometimes you are just so ridiculous, I can't stand you."

****

Once everyone was up in their dormitories and Percy, Harry, and Ron were the last ones in the common room, they set the plan in motion. Percy disappeared using his ring and Harry and Ron donned the invisibility cloak, Ron grumbling all the while. They quickly and carefully made their way down to Hagrid's, doing their best to avoid the many teachers patrolling the corridors and Peeves. They had to stop five times to avoid getting caught. On the way, the three of them agreed that they would be taking Fang into the Forbidden Forest with them. Though the dog wouldn't be much help, it was unanimous that it would be nice to have an extra sense of security. Once they had acquired the massive boarhound, they set off into the forest.

It was almost too easy to find another line of spiders. They followed it for about a half hour, Harry in the lead because he had the lantern. Eventually, the line dissolved into a massive group of eight-legged creepy crawlies. The ground was practically covered in the things, much to Ron's dismay.

"Why did it have to be follow the spiders?" Percy heard the ginger mutter about twenty minutes in. "Why couldn't it have been follow the butterflies?"