Nana

Chapter 8

Legolas had been in the dark, the wounds he had inflicted on himself aching painfully despite the herbs he had put on them. Now, his entire stomach was covered in little crisscrossing cuts among the larger ones from the first day. Though they were small, they stung painfully. His shoulder had also begun to throb again. And, of course, this stupid blackness wasn't helping either.

The darkness had reached his head, he thought. In his mind he had been there for weeks, but last time Cyras had come to get him he had so kindly informed him that only a day had passed since last time. It seemed that they would confront one another once a day. But today, he decided, he would be strong. He would not let the black hate around him reach his own heart and destroy it. The door creaked open.

O:o:O

"Third day," Cyras began as he tethered Legolas to the post in the center of the yard which stood cold and desolate.

Legolas shuddered as Cyras spoke about how the third day was so important. He looked up at the cloudy sky and back down at the pale grass beneath his feet, which was dying in the darkness of the place. As he began to shiver slightly, he noted that Cyras was wearing extra layers to provide warmth. But he was an elf, he should not feel the cold.

Cyras chuckled at his captives shuddering form.

"Your wounds are affecting you more than you realize," he said, grinning. "Especially because of the poison. It is the reason for all your troubles," he said cryptically.

Legolas stared at Cyras defiantly.

"I shall survive anything you throw at me," he said, spitting near Cyras's feet. "It is not even worth you trying." Cyras just smiled.

"Anything, you say?" he said, placing a hand thoughtfully on his chin. "Oh princeling, I created today's lesson especially to prove you wrong."

He picked up the orb and brought it so that it was touching his forehead. Legolas frowned. He had never had to do that before.

Suddenly, as if in a flood, the colors and objects around him flowed away, and they were replaced by new ones. He was spun around, eventually landing down in the same place was more, but when it was more alive. He stayed suspended in the air, watching the action unfold.

Oh no, he thought desperately, staggering backward and putting a hand over his mouth in horror. No, it can't be!

Men bustled around a small, dirtied elfling as he was lead down the narrow hallway by his collar, shooting him disgusted looks. The young elf grabbed at the skirts of the elleth marching in silence in front of him for comfort, then he reached for her hand.

"Hands off, elf!" the man behind him barked, and slapped his hand away from his mother's. The little blonde creature of the woods whimpered in fear, and the elleth glared daggers at the man who had hurt her only child.

This can't be happening, Legolas thought desperately, trying to close his eyes but realizing that he physically could not. This is not real.

The pair was lead into the courtyard, and their collars were tied to the poll. The glee of the men standing around eagerly watching was as sickening as it had been at the time.

The little elfling cowered behind the tall elleth, who looked evenly into the eyes of her captor as he stared at her with the coldest green eyes that a man could have.

"My, my," he said, coming close to her. "What shall we do today?"

Legolas's breath hitched. The fatal mistake was coming...

"If you would just face Nana in a fair fight instead of torturing her like a coward, she could easily beat you!" the elfling yelled at the man, trying to look brave like his father would have.