Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Finnick Pov.

The same thing keeps happening. It's getting boring. Kim and Jake now have one thousand, seven hundred dollars that we can use for a gift. Annie and I are practically falling asleep. There's nine left. We just sit there, doing nothing. I'm glad that they're not in danger but we're just sitting here doing nothing. I wish the Capital didn't make the mentors do this. We already lived our games, why do we have to live other peoples'? We're supposed to live our lives in peace but instead we have to keep going back to the place that we already desperately tried to escape. And I'm not talking about the arena, I'm talking about the Capital. I hate what they've done to Annie and I. I hate having other peoples secrets and other peoples problems stored in my brain. They're too horrible to forget. I hate that they made Annie have flashbacks of what they did to her. She fought through the arena and now she relives it almost every day. It's impossible to not be in the arena after you've won, you see it again every year. I start zoning out and I feel Annie's hand grab mine.

"What are you thinking about?" she asks in a quiet voice.

"How much I hate the Capital." I whisper.

"I had a feeling, you had that 'I'm gonna kill you' face." she says and it makes me laugh.

"I get that kind of face?" I ask.

"Yea, but it doesn't scare me, it's just intimidating." she tells me.

I smile, "I used that a lot in the arena."

"Yea I remember." she pauses and then says, "You were really violent in there. I kept thinking to myself who is this guy?"

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"You weren't like I remembered. You were so... violent. I just know you as a big, sweet, and loving softie." she explains.

"I was just trying to get back to you. I was trying to forget about being a big sweet loving softie." I tell her and she laughs.

"Well it didn't matter when you got out, then I forgot about the crazy killer Finnick Odair and remembered Finn."

"Crazy killer Finnick Odair? I think that's kind of overly dramatic." I tell her and roll my eyes.

"Not really." she says sarcastically. "I remember Sarah shielding her eyes and Mick and Jerry were like 'yea' and 'oh that's gotta hurt!'"

I laugh. "Yea I had a feeling Mick and Jerry didn't mind the killing."

She pauses before speaking and her face goes from relaxed to intense, like she was thinking hardly about something. "Do you miss Mick?" she asks.

"Well, even though I was beyond angry with him for constantly flirting with you," I start and she laughs.

"Does that still bug you?" she asks still laughing.

"I don't know... Anyways I miss him, but I would miss you a hundred times more." I tell her.

"If you died in your arena I'd miss you a thousand times more." She says defeating my previous sentence.

"I'd miss you a million times more." I argue playfully.

"I'd miss you a billion times more."

"They'd have to make a new number for how much I'd miss you." I win.

"Ugh, billion is the highest!" she says sarcastically.

"Nope, trillion, zillion." I make up numbers. She opens up her mouth to talk so I brag and say, "I win."