Chapter 14: Not There

Elliot's POV

"What?" I asked jumping off the couch.

"Here is the address!" Cody said spinning around to hand me a piece of paper with an address on it.

"And you're sure she's here?" I asked.

"She should be and if she's not come back here, and I'll check their security cameras," Cody said smiling.

"Thanks!" I said running out the door to my car.

I drove down to the address not wanting to waste any more time. The drive was a little far, but I didn't care. I would do anything to see Skye again. I pulled into the parking lot of a small motel. The place almost looked abandoned, but I ran straight to the front desk room. I busted through the door causing everyone in the room to look at me, but I could really care less at this point. I walked straight up to the front desk and a man turned around to look at me.

"I'm looking for a girl named Skye Rutz. Has she checked in to this motel before?" I asked.

"Um..the name doesn't sound familiar, but I can go look if you would like," The man said as he played with his watch.

"Okay, that would be great. Thank you!" I said as the man gave me a somewhat nervous smile as he disappeared into the back room.

I stood there and waited for a couple minutes until the man came out.

"No one has checked in under that name," The man said.

"Well, have you at least seen this girl then?" I asked showing him a picture of her.

"No, I've never seen that girl before," He said.

"Okay, well, thank you for looking," I said leaving.

"No problem," The man said as he waved goodbye to me.

I decided to head back to Cody to ask if he would hack into their security cameras. I feel like that man wasn't telling me the whole story back there, and I'm going to figure out what he wasn't telling me. I was about to enter my car, but I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to come face to face with a man who looked to be a little younger than me but not much. He had short brown hair and matching brown eyes.

"He's lying to you," The man stated.

"Who? Him?" I asked gesturing to the man at the desk.

"He's my boss and...Look, we can't talk here. There is a small diner the next block over, meet me there tonight at 8:00 p.m., and I'll tell you the whole story," The man said as he turned to walk back inside.

"Okay, I'll be there," I said as he gave me a thumbs up before running into the building.

I decided to drive back to the office to ask Cody to hack those cameras. Maybe it could help with the search for Skye. Once I parked, I ran back up to the security room. I found Cody passed out in the chair in a very deep sleep. I felt bad for him, but once this is over he can sleep all he wants. I walked up to Cody and shook him awake.

"Hey," I said.

"Hey, how did it go?" He asked smiling.

"She wasn't there," I said.

"What!?" Cody said sitting straight up in his chair.

"Yeah, I asked the boss about it and he said he had never seen or heard of Skye before," I said.

"Well let me see about that," Cody said spinning around to the computer.

"Actually, one of the workers stopped me and told me the boss was lying. We're meeting at 8:00 tonight so he can tell me what really happened," I said.

"Maybe I can still try and find her. What was the place called, and I can check their security cameras?" Cody said pulling up a browser.

"Max's Motel," I said.

"Okay, well, I'll call you if I find anything. Right now, you should go get some rest because you look really tired," Cody said.

"Yeah, I probably won't have much time for sleeping these next couple of days," I said walking out of the room.

"See you, boss."

"See you later, Cody," I said.

I ran down to my car and drove home. I decided to get some rest for tonight. Thoughts of Skye grew louder and louder in my head the longer I laid in bed. I got up and got some water, then I set my alarm for 6 p.m., and finally, I fell asleep.

BEEP BEEP

I woke up to the sound of my annoying alarm clock. I turned off my alarm, pulled myself together, and then drove to the cafe. It was a few minutes before 8 when I arrived, but I decided it was better to be early than late. I entered the cafe to find the young man already sitting at a table. I walked over to the man and we introduced ourselves to each other. I learned that his name was Liam.

"It's nice to meet you, Liam," I said smiling.

"It's good to meet you too, Elliot," He replied.

"Now, tell me what you were saying back at the motel," I asked getting straight to the point.

"Well, all I know is that a girl named Skye came to the motel about five days ago and everyone was flirting with her. She went to her room and barely ever came out except to pay her rent and eat, but one night I saw our boss, Max, and some random dude walking down to her room around 10:00 at night. After that night, I was told to clean the room and to take her off of our list that tells who has stayed here in the motel," The man said.

"Could you hear anything they were saying?" I asked.

"All I could hear was my boss shouting, 'Jackson! Please, don't do this!' and then I heard something fall to the ground," Liam said.

That was when I realized that Skye was definitely in danger.

"Thank you for all your help, but I need to get going," I said cutting things short.

"No problem, I hope you find her," He replied.

"Me too," I mumbled as I waved goodbye.

I need to tell Cody.