Chapter 8

Chapter 8

-Friday-

She finished the panda cake for the sweet sixteen that was due for this week, and the client loved it putting a pep in her step for the rest of the week. Hiring Mitchell proved to be really helpful. She can tell that Mirabella was more at ease in the front with the added help.

She looked at the clock and noticed it to be 2'oclock. She shut her sketch pad with a sketch of a new client's cake design, and gathered all the material for the meeting with Amelia and Claude. Placing all her stuff in her purse, she left her office.

"Maxi, I'm heading to the meeting with Chamber." She stood at the door of Maxeen's office. "I won't be coming back, so please close the shop for me."

"Okay, Mar," she responded. "Oh, and good luck." She gave Marley an all-knowing smirk.

Marley shook her head with a smile and left from the back entrance of the shop. She hailed a taxi and made way to the Chamber residence. She got through the front desk, and ascended to the top floor. She pressed the doorbell at the side of the door.

"Miss La?" a voice came from the speaker.

"Yes, that is me." She replied.

The door opened by the same person as last time, and she led her to the living room.

"I'll get the Chambers." She said, "Would you like anything to drink?"

"A water, please." She replied.

The woman nodded and left the room and shortly returned with a class of water on a saucer.

"Thank you." Marley said as she placed the saucer on a coaster on the living room table.

She took a sip before Amelia greeted her.

"Marley!" She saw Amelia grinning at her as she entered the living room followed by Claude and Alaine.

She got up smiling warmly. "Amelia." She then turned to Claude, "Mr. Chamber." She gave a slight nod. "Alaine."

"It's so good to see you again!" Amelia said. "Come on let's head into my office."

She followed them through the home, occasionally glancing at Claude. His face always showing nothing which made her question his interest in her, but she said yes so she can't back out now.

They finally made it to large white double doors in which Amelia opened to a large white office with accents of beige. The back center held a white desk with a Mac desktop. The right was a vanity with large cabinets on each side. The left side of the room was an art studio, having a beige easel, a sketch pad with the start of a new fashion design. The right of the easel was a mannequin with fabric draped over it. On the left a large white sewing machine. There was a door on the left of the sewing machine.

"Sorry about the mess." Amelia apologized. "I have a new line coming out soon so my office is a bit hectic, but please let's sit down and talk more about this cake."

They sat down at couches that were in front of her desk surrounding a large wood coffee table.

"So what do you have so far?" she asked Marley.

Marley took out her sketch pad and flipped it to Amelia's cake. She grabbed a pencil from her bag as well.

"I made adjustments based on the additional step. I didn't want there to be too much left over so I changed the dimensions of the original design to be larger. I incorporated the colors of your wedding by adding flowers of the same colors. The stands that will be holding the cake will be wood. The cakes themselves will be a naked cake unless you want them to fully iced." She pointed at every different aspects of the cake with her pencil as she went along. "What do you think?" She looked up at them.

"This is gorgeous." Amelia gushed. "I love it. The naked cake, with the dark wood, and flowers will go perfectly with the vineyard we chose. This is absolutely beautiful. Thank you Marley."

Marley gave a warm smile. She loves it when the customer is happy with the design. "That's wonderful."

"Well if that is all." Alaine spoke for the first time she was here. "We have an appointment at 5, Amelia. We have to wrap things up here."

"Oh yes, the meeting with the venue." Amelia stood up, along with everyone else. "Claude you don't have to come with me this time. Paul will meet me there."

Claude nodded. They followed Amelia out her office and back out into the living room.

"Well Marley, I don't want it to be six months to not see you again." Amelia stated. "Let's have lunch sometime."

"Yes, I'd like that." Marley agreed.

"Good, I'll call you when I can." Amelia said. "I'll see you soon." She left the apartment with Alaine in tow.

Marley watched the door close with a small smile and looked towards Claude.

"Miss La, I'll pick you up around 7 for dinner." He told her.

"Okay." She gave a hesitant smile. "Should I dress a certain way?"

"A nice dress would be fine." He responded. "I'll give you a ride home now."

"No, that's alright." She shook her head. "I'll be okay with a cab."

"I insist, this way, I'll know where to pick you up." He countered.

"That does make sense." She nodded. "Okay then."

She gave him a big smile. His composure faltered a bit as his eyes softened.

"Let's go." He grabbed a jacket for a coat closet near the door and a pair of keys hanging from a hook. He held the door open for her, and they made their way to the elevator. He pressed the button that held the letter G, and they descended. The doors opened to a garage. She followed him to a beautiful black Bentley.

"This is gorgeous." She made a barely audible comment, but he picked up on it. He gave a slight smirk before unlocking the car. He opened the door for her, and she entered. He made his way around the front to the driver's side and got in. The car purred to life with the press of a button, and they made their way out of the garage and into the street.

"Please, direct me to your place." He told her. She told him the directions to her loft. No other conversation was made as he drove her there. He pulled up to the front door of the building where she lived.

"Thank you for the ride home, Mr. Chambers." She smiled gratefully at him.

"Claude, you can call me Claude now." He said gazing at her. The look he gave her was warm, something she didn't expect out of him. A slight blush crept onto her cheeks.

"Okay, I'll see you later, Claude." With that she opened her door, left the car, and made her way to the front door. She unlocked and opened it. She looked back to see him driving away. She took a deep breath and exhaled.

"It's time to get ready." She told herself as she entered her loft.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy.