Chapter 2. After effects.....

Clarise's P.O.V.

I woke up, to an empty bed beside me. Where was he? I had never had a one night stand before. Even when I was in high school and in college, I was a weirdo to people. There were even stories about me in high school. And one of them was that I had no breasts. The only reason they said that was because I was the only girl in high school who wore baggie t-shirts. They had no idea why I wore that kind of clothes. I wasn't allowed to date and if any guy talked to me, my parents would doubt. But now those days are over. They can't say any thing bad about me because they have nothing bad to say about me, they do not know who I am.

"I guess this is how a one night stand must be," I said to myself and got out of bed. I freshened up and got ready for work. When I walked into the kitchen I was surprised to see a plate filled with pancakes on the counter. There was a note beside it, it said-

Darling Clarise,

                               I had to leave early, had to attend a meeting. You must be thinking it was must be a one night stand and I left. But it is not the case. I will be back in a week. Had to leave for Stockholm for a meeting. The only information you get about me is that I am not a rich man. I am from a middle-class family and I liked you the moment I saw you. Why was I at the charity? My friend had insisted that I go with her. Right now you have nothing in your head, so I am giving you something to do. Find out who I am. You have a week. And don't worry I am not a serial killer. I just like you and want to know you more than I already know. And I am not a stalker either.

                                                                                                            Love Mr X

I let out a breath, I did not realise I held back. And I giggled. Well, this person will keep me on my toes, I thought to myself. I had the pancakes and when I walked to the coffee pot, there was another note in it. "When did you start having coffee regularly? Go back to milk and take care. And yes I know you from before"

The word before got me in a twist. Someone from my past has returned. I searched for my phone, which always goes AWOL when I need it. Dialling the Private Investigator's number, I waited for him to receive. When he answered.

"I want the guest list of last night's charity function with their photographs on my desk before I reach office."

"Yes, Ma'am. It will be done."

I cut the line and paced about in the living room. I had left the past behind.  Whoever has returned wants to turn my life upside down. I do not want to be Clair, not again. Fear sank in me.

When I reached my office, I rushed to my desk for the list.

"Is it the complete list?" I asked the PI while I went through it.

"There is one man who is not on this list. I was a request from the guest to not add the details of her plus one. The lady is Mrs Rodriguez." It wasn't the old lady's son because he was in Paris and I knew him. Then who was it?

" Find out who was with her?"

"Yes, ma'am" replied the PI and left.

I dialled Mrs Rodriguez and waited for her to receive the call. But no one answered.

 I tried to be as calm as possible, but I could not concentrate. I had left my past for good. I had grown, I had become someone I wanted to be. All of this was only possible after I started fresh.... my past especially my family would bring me down if they returned. And this guy would be the death of my new life.