1

"W-well," I start stopping in front of the shop, "this-this is my bakery."

"It's really cute Marinette," he assures me reaching for the door. He opens it stepping aside to let me go through first. "Lady's first."

"T-Thanks," I mumble feeling my cheeks heat up.

Once I get inside, I immediately notice my parents staring at Adrien. They must recognized him. I know they know I have a crush on him. Oh god, I hope they don't embarrass me. I lead Adrien over to my parents anyways. It's just how I was raised.

"Mama, Papa, this is Adrien Agreste," I start motioning to the model, "I told him about the fresh croissants. Can we have some?"

"Yes of course, Marinette," Mama smiles, "it's nice meeting you Adrien."

"It was nice to meet you too, Mr. and Mrs. Dupain-Cheng," Adrien agrees.

"I'll get those for you two," Papa says walking into the next room.

"How was your day today, Adrien?" Mama asks him.

I look over and I notice he looks a little nervous. He smiles kindly at he question before shaking away his nerves. I guess I'd be a little nervous if someone's parents asked me that too.

"It was alright," he admits not in a happy way, "I was a little tired today."

"So was Marinette," Mama tells him making my eyes widen, "she was up late studying. Were you doing that too?"

"Yes," he nods.

"Your croissants!" Papa calls from the kitchen as he walks into the store.

He hands Adrien and I both a plate and I thank them at the same time Adrien does. Mama and Papa look oddly proud of me. I shake it off and we head over to an empty table to eat the fresh pastry.

We sit in silence for awhile. It's not comfortable at all. Neither of us know what to say and I'm too much of a nervous wreck to speak first. I don't think this is going so well. I thought I could do it. I thought I could be his friend.

"What do you think of Ladybug?" Adrien finally asks and I shrug.

"I-I like Chat Noir the best," I admit and his eyes widen.

"Really? Why?" He asks leaning a bit closer to me, "isn't he kind of the sidekick?"

"No," I shake my head, "there's times when-when Ladybug couldn't be t-there and-and Chat Noir did all the work. I think he-he's a great hero. I-I think people just see Ladybug more because she lets t-them."

I mean it. I know I let people see me more. I am such a nervous wreck without the mask but with it on I can't help but be in the spotlight. I'm good around crowds but sometimes I just can't speak. Ladybug is the me I always want to be. I never mean to push Chat Noir aside.

"You think?" He asks and I nod. "I personally like Ladybug. She's so nice and is confident with everything she does."

"What-what would she be without Ch-Chat Noir by her side t-though?" I ask looking into Adrien's eyes.

There's a certain emotion in his eyes that I can't decipher. I wish I could read his mind. I just want to be there for him, can't he see that? We stare at each other for a few seconds before Adrien finally replies.

"I think Ladybug would be fine without Chat, but you're right," he admits, "everyone needs help sometimes."

I go to speak but again a bell interrupts me. Adrien takes out his phone and looks sadly at the screen. It must be time to go.