W. S. S. Holmes

He puts down the phone and continues working, the hours whiling away as he picks apart more toes.

It's around ten o'clock when the phone rings once more.

"Lestrade,this better be important because this is the second time I've been interrupted today and I really need to work."

He hears the officer intake a breath.

"Well,Gavin, what is it?"

"It's John."

Sherlock frowns slightly.

"What about him?"

"I'll send you an address."

It doesn't take long for Sherlock to reach the address Lestrade sent him. By now, panic is rising in his chest. When he reaches the place, Lestrade is stood by the entrance, with a firm frown on his face.

"Sherlock-"

"Where is he? Where's John?"

And that's when Lestrade begins to cry. Sherlock looks at him and then all of his fancy observations go to shit because Sherlock doesn't even need to see because Sherlock knows.

He pushes past his only friend in the world and rushes in, only to find his John, his goddamn precious John, sprawled on the floor, a gaping hole through his chest, red smeared over his shirt.

A howl escapes his lips as he throws himself to John's side.

"John,John, John, John, John, no, John."

He sees the phone,it's there. And once again, he knows.Lestrade pads in, and Sherlock knows this too.

"He's gone, Greg."