Prologue

It was the music that made him return.

Every year, every summer he came back, and it was always the same. No one knew he was there, hidden deep in the crowds, listening.

There was a stillness there, and he lived in it, alone in every sense of the word, and yet there it was. The music he could not get rid of, the song that kept on going.

These were the moments in which he stood and waited, content for once to let time stand still. Silent with bated breath until the first chord was struck, and the music began.

Barcelona Rain.

The piece that rose and fell in a grand juncture of sound, the keys of the pianoforte joined by the slightest whisper of the wind.

And then its pulsing heartbeat soared and spiraled until it landed again where it had started before.

It was a song that had haunted him since he was a boy. It enveloped him, drowned him, swallowed him whole.

He did not mind.

It was the music that had saved him before, and would save him again. So he always came back.

Until one day, his world fell like ashes to the ground, and the music, too, was lost in the void.

And then it was as if Barcelona Rain had never existed before.

Nothing remained, not even an echo of music in the sky.

He was too far gone to care.

Perhaps it had all been a dream, anyway. He had no time for music now.

So he forged himself anew, complete with the barest essentials, no trace of his previous life to be found.

Barcelona Rain was a fantasy of the past. He had only the future to look forward to.

Thus he picked himself up from the ground, and moved on.

He never once looked back.
____________________

A/N: Hi everyone! :)

So this is Barcelona Rain, my entry for the fanfic contest Sir Rob is hosting. I really wanted to do something different than everyone else. So far what I've seen is people writing Lambrose kiss scenes with all the sexual tension galore and I was just like, no.

There's nothing wrong with writing that, of course! To each their own. But I wanted to write a story centered on human emotion and the way music can heal us in ways we never anticipate.

So here we have Rikkard, broken and lost and his usual stone cold self after a tragedy in his young life, left with a wound in his heart that no one has ever managed to heal.

Enter this story, where music and Lilly try to patch him up a little.

The song in the beginning is "Ghost in the Wind" by Birdy, and it helped get me into Rikkard's mindset for this fanfic. It's a lovely, haunting song and Birdy's voice is incredible.

This is the prologue; the other chapters will soon follow. Really hope you guys enjoy!

Tell me what you think of this idea :)

Be sure to VOTE or COMMENT to support the story in the contest! Thanks so much for reading!

UPDATE: The voting has been moved to Sir Rob's social media pages on Twitter, Facebook, and Google+ so you can vote for your favorite fanfic in the contest! If you would like this story to win, please select Barcelona Rain in the voting form! Thank you so much!!! :)