The Time Lord Who Walked by Himself

There once was a Time Lord Who walked by himself.

He was wild, as wild as one could be. Of course, there were other wilder ones, but he was the wildest of them all. No one could tame him.

He wouldn't let them.

"One day, three people will try to tame you," said Rassilion, president of the Time Lords. "Two will fail, but the third will tame you after three complements are said."

"That's impossible," said he, the Time Lord who walked by himself.

***

The Wild, Wild Time Lord went on his way, and a TARDIS stole him and they went away.

To far galaxies and worlds they went, the Time Lord wild as he could be.

One day, a Time Lady came along and tried to tame him. She urged him to stay, to heel and do tricks.

"No! I will not! Not now, not ever! Not even for you Romana!" The Time Lord that walked who walked by himself said.

So, she left.

He went on, only him and his TARDIS, wandering, wandering, wild and free.

Then came along a human, and she was very bright, and she tried to tame the Time Lord who walked by himself. She tried to train him, tried to get him to heel and do tricks.

"No! I will not heel! I will not do tricks! Not ever, even for you Sarah Jane!" was his roaring response.

So, she was left behind.

Once again only he and his TARDIS were wandering, not lost, just wandering. They were free to be as wild as they wanted.

Then came the War, and the Time Lord that walked alone fought, against his nature, against his enemy.

Everybody lost.

***

He who walked by himself was lonely, as lonely as one could be.

Just him and his TARDIS, wandering, wandering, wandering.

Lost.

***

Then came she. The pink and yellow human. She woke up the tired Time Lord's wildness, she gave him hope.

"You're alien," she said.

"Is that okay?" He asked.

"Of course," was her simple answer.

Something inside him grumbled. She had complimented him. He shook it off and showed off his impressive wildness to her, to convince her that he was untameable.

He took her to the very end of the earth and the edges of the universe.

"How beautiful is all of this! You and your majestic box!" She cried, talking about his TARDIS.

Two complements. Surely this is the last, he thought.

They wandered more, and more.

Then his old enemy returned, and he who walked by himself sent his pink and yellow human home. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if she died.

But she came back, not as a human, no, but was a Wolf, terrible and beautiful and golden. She bared her fangs in a striking howl, and the enemy was defeated, utterly destroyed.

"The Time War ends. For you, my Doctor, only you," her words echoed.

A third complement.

Being a Wolf was too much for her body, however, and it burned. She had saved him, and now he had to save her.

He did. At the cost of his body, of that face. But that was okay. He had several left.

"You have told me three complements. Someone long ago told me when a person complimented me three times, they could tame me. Do you wish to tame me?" He asked his pink and yellow human, who he loved, who he would be tame for.

"Why would I want to tame you?" She replied, "No, I want to run with you. I want to be wild with you, forever."

So they ran.

They ran and ran and ran. They ran to other universes, across the stars and time.

The Time Lord who walked by himself, and the pink and yellow human, who really was just a Big Bad Wolf.