chapter one.

april 29th, 1992

HAKEEM WITHERSPOON WOKE UP AT 6:37 AM on that day, not knowing his life, and the lives of his friends, would change forever. To him, it was just going to be another day in the hood.

Hakeem took one last look at himself in the mirror of the small, pink bathroom and liked what he saw. He was wearing a dashiki with acid wash jeans, his Air Jordans, and his usual flip-top sunglasses that everyone made fun of him for. He didn't care though. All he cared about was not fitting into the mold that every male around his neighborhood was fitting into.

And that was drug dealing and gang banging.

He grabbed his pick, put it in his pocket and opened the door to exit the bathroom. That's when he saw his little sister, Tia, standing impatiently with her arms crossed outside the door. Hakeem flinched at the sight of his annoyed sister.

"Well, good morning Ti-Ti." Hakeem smiled, patting his little sister's head. "Oh, did you need to get in here?" He asked, obvious that she was waiting to get in there.

"Hakeem, I don't have time for you. Get out of my way before I-" She said, trying to get past his tall figure.

"Before you, what?" He said, standing in her way. "What 'chu gon do?" He looked at her in disbelief, knowing her patience was running thin.

She backed up, smirking maliciously. "I'll just tell mom you had that girl in your room last night while she was at work."

Hakeem froze, no longer wearing his goofy smile on his face. "Chill." He swallowed, moving to the side so he was on longer in the way.

Tia smirked and threw her bath towel over her shoulder, slamming the bathroom door in Hakeem's face. Hakeem cursed to himself, mad that Tia knew about him having Latoya in his room last night. He thought he was being careful having her come in through the window but apparently not.

Hakeem walked down the hallway to the living room where his mom was sleeping on the couch, her work uniform still on. She must've worked late because usually she had enough energy to make it to her bed. He looked at his mother's tired face. She was snoring loudly and her hair braids were pulled up in a messy bun. He sighed and began to slowly take off her work shoes, making sure not to wake her up. He took the blanket that was hanging over the couch and put it over her. His kissed her cheek and walked over to the kitchen.

He glanced over at the clock that was hung over the fridge.

7:31 am

"Damn." He mumbled to himself, quickly chugging the orange juice straight from the carton. He had to be at school by 8:00 am and he lived at least 20 minutes away. This was his last year of high school and he was not trying to accumulate any more tardies.

He knocked on the bathroom door, hoping Tia was near the end of her shower. But that was wishful thinking.

"Tia! Hurry your slow ass up! School starts in 30 minutes and I'm not waiting for you!"

Suddenly, he heard the water stop running and the pulling open of a shower curtain. He rolled his eyes, heading into his room that was covered in posters of Michael Jordan, Public Enemy, and De La Soul. He grabbed his backpack off his bed and practically ran out of the house, knowing he wouldn't hear the end of it for not waiting for her.

He walked outside in the hot, humid air and unlocked his bike that was locked to the gate in front of his house. Even though it was too small for him, it got him places. At this point he was surprised his still had it. At least every morning he had to dodge bums and gang members who were after his precious bike.