Chapter 10

Jungkook POV

I couldn't comprehend the fact that Ma-Ri passed away.

I felt anger towards Mi-Rae.

Why did she keep me in the dark?

Why didn't she tell me anything?

Why did she pretend to be Ma-Ri and kept writing to me?

I felt sadness and anger well up within me.

<Flashback >

"Yah, can you teach me how to draw a puppy?" The little girl with short hair said as she came up to me while I was drawing my puppy in art class. I gave a nod and taught her how to draw a puppy.

"Waaah! Thanks!" She exclaimed. "What's your name?" She asked. "Jeon Jungkook. You?" I asked. "Park Ma-Ri!" She gave me a bright smile. "Do you want to be friends?" She asked. "Sure." I shrugged.

<End of flashback>

My eyes started to water once again. The pain of loosing my best friend hurt a lot.

It also broke my heart because the girl I liked wasn't the same person as the girl I thought I liked.

I knew something was off. Specially with the drastic change of handwriting. I never paid much attention to it.

It really hurt.

Mi-Rae POV

I sniffled as I curled up in my bed.

If only she didn't make me promise her that I would write letters to him. If only she didn't pass away. Everything would have been different. I missed her a lot.

Whenever I say I miss her, I miss her more.

I kind of blamed myself for her death.

Why?

Because that day, I wasn't home when she had a severe asthma attack.

She would have asthma attacks often but they weren't as severe.

That day, I had went to Hye-Mi's house to get something
leaving Ma-Ri home alone.

Hyun-Min went to my house after I went to Hye-Mi's. He saw Ma-Ri have an asthma attack and tried to help her. He saw her use her inhalers but they didn't calm her down. He quickly called the ambulance before calling Hye-Mi's phone telling us to come home because Ma-Ri was having an asthma attack.

As soon as Hye-Mi, her older sister, and I got home, Ma-Ri was on the floor while Hyun-Min held her. We rushed to her side.

"U...unnie..." Ma-Ri tried to speak. "Shh, don't speak. Try to breath. The ambulance will be here soon---" "K-keep... writing...to...Jungkook...on my...behalf..." Her eyes were closing. "Ma-Ri!" I screamed. "P-p-promise..?" "Ma-Ri, nothing will happen to you!" I held her hand. Her eyes pleaded me for an answer. My eyes started to tear up as I nodded. Then, Ma-Ri became unconscious. Her lips were curved into a small smile.

Soon the ambulance came. Hye-Mi's older sister followed the ambulance with her car. She brought Hyun-Min and Hye-Mi along. I was in the ambulance with Ma-Ri.

The oxygen that the ambulance was providing didn't help and by the time we reached the hospital she passed away.

Our parents showed up at the hospital and heard the news of Ma-Ri's passing.

Maybe I could have done something.

If only I was there.

If only....

I was getting tired of that word. That word is like a knife that is poisoned with the feeling of regret which stabs you a billion times before you shatter.

I wished that word never existed.

I quickly got up and put on a pair of black jeggings along with a white t shirt. I  quickly brushed my hair and put on a pair of adidas.

I went down to see Hye-Mi and Hyun-Min on the couch, watching tv.

They both looked at me.

"Are you going somewhere?" Hyun-Min asked and I nodded. "Where?" Hye-Mi asked. I didn't answer as I got out of the house.

I made my way to Jungkook's and rang the bell.

The door opened to Namjoon.

"Oppa, is Jungkook home?" I asked. "He has been in his room since he came back from your house." He said. "Did something happen?" Jin asked. "It's nothing." I shook my head.

"Sorry for the intrusion." I said as I pushed passed them and ran up the stairs.

I didn't bother knocking on his bedroom door and twisted the doorknob but it was locked.

I grabbed the bobby pin in my hair and unlocked the door.

I barged into the room to see Jungkook laying on his bed diagonally.

"What do you want?" He asked in a slightly hoarse but irritated voice.

I could tell he was crying. His eyes were red and puffy.

"Get up." I said in a cold tone. "Why should I do that?" "I said GET UP. We're going somewhere." I said sternly. "I'm not going anywhere with you." He said sitting up. He wasn't looking at me.

"It's important." I grabbed his hand and tried to pull him off of the bed. "Let go!" "No." I used all of my strength to get him to stand up.

"This better be important. I don't want to have anything to do with you anymore." He muttered. "The feeling is mutual." I replied angrily.

I dragged him downstairs and he put on his shoes.

"Are you guys going somewhere?" Yoongi asked. "Yes." I nodded. "Be safe." Jin said. "Don't be late." Jimin said. We nodded and got out.

"Are you going to tell me where we are going?" Jungkook asked. "...You'll find out when we get there. It's not very far." I said.

As we reached close to the place I was taking Jungkook to, I went into a flower shop.

After getting flowers, we continued our journey.

I ignored Jungkook's questions about the flowers along with him constantly asking how much further.

We stopped in front of the cemetery. Jungkook's had a shocked expression.

"T-This place...M-Ma-Ri...?"

I told him about how Ma-Ri passed away as we walked  into the cemetery. I tried my best not to cry as I told him of that day.

Then, we stopped in front of Ma-Ri's grave.

"I brought you a visitor." I said softly. I handed Jungkook the flowers so he can put it by her tombstone.

Jungkook POV

Although I was standing in front of my best friend's grave, I still found it hard to believe that she passed away.

"I'll leave you alone." Mi-Rae said as she walked away to a bench that was slightly further away from the cemetery.

•••••

Don't be a silent reader. Leave a comment and let me know your thoughts on this book and don't forget to vote :)