Bright

The entire car still smelled like the Burger King they had a few hours ago. Shane and Ryan could barely tell since it had been like this the entire roadtrip, which had already extended over the past few days just to drive across the country and back.

"The mountains are actually really nice at night," Ryan commented, staring out of his passenger side window. Shane hummed back in agreement, lazily watching the dark road pass in front of them. Ryan slurped his soft drink from the Burger King loudly. "Nice change of scenery from all those fields."

"Is it 10 already?"

"Yeah. Are we near a town yet?"

"Mmm, not really. The nearest one is still a few miles, and we'd have to go off main course."

"Are you sure you're not too tired? I've said this before and I'll say it again but I'll drive if you want me to."

"I'm fine... seriously." Shane glanced over at Ryan and smiled at him sincerely. "Plus, we can do something a little different tonight. We're someplace cool, so why not do something special?"

"Like what?"

"You'll see."

"... You're not thinking of camping out here in the middle of the Rockies, are you...?"

"Er..."

"Shane... we're nowhere near prepared... we only have a tent..."

"And that's all we need," Shane shrugged, "We're only sleeping out here and driving out in the morning."

"... As long as nothing bad happens."

"Nothing will. Trust me."

Shane started slowing down on the mountainside road, pulling over off the road beside a cliff where a little space was made for sightseeing. He stopped the car and made a move to get out.

"Why did you stop here? It's not safe to sleep here," Ryan mumbled uncertainly, getting out of the car nevertheless.

"We're not sleeping here, idiot. And since when have you been concerned about safety?"

"Since I've had to be worrying over you."

Shane walked over to the cliff where some large, flat rocks were sitting just a few feet from the edge. Keeping a hand on the rock, he shuffled around to sit on it so he could face the view just over the cliff. He beckoned Ryan over to come and sit beside him. Ryan tugged on his sweater hood before following his footsteps.

"Chilly on top of this mountain, huh," Shane said, gripping onto Ryan's hands as he led him around the rock.

"We're not on top of it, it shouldn't be that cold."

"It's also nighttime."

"True."

"Wow, isn't this just magnificent," Shane sighed. He subtly slipped an arm around Ryan's waist, pulling him closer and partially out of concern of the cliff being so close.

He wasn't wrong. The cliff edge turned steep less than a yard away from their toes, and rolled down to a bunch of pine trees a few hundred feet down. This view gave them access to a few mountains directly in front of them, and the entire sky above and around them. There was no sound other than the wind in the trees and a trickling waterfall nearby, as the road wasn't a very busy one this time of night.

The sky was really what made the scene completely breathtaking. It made the two men forget about the dangers of the cliff in front of them and how the cold just barely made their skin prickle. There was just about no light pollution, and the sky was almost perfectly clear.