Chapter 23: We Are Young

June 8th: 

12:14am - discharged from the hospital and brought home

I had a massive headache as our chauffeur drove my parents and I home to our estate. Most kids would be thrilled to return home but frankly, it just made me more sick. Kayden and I couldn’t see each other anymore

6:32pm - I texted Kayden for the first time

6:32pm-2:41am - We texted all night long 

July...

August...

September...

October...

November...

December...

January...

February...

March...

April...

May 20th...

‘Under the lights tonight, turned around and you stole my heart, just one look and I saw your face, fell in love, took a minute girl, to steal my heart tonight.’ The warm sun rays filtered through my beaded curtains, the sound of car horns and loud pedestrians tangled with my alarm, One Direction’s Stole My Heart. 

You know, LA’s absolutely gorgeous in May, everything seems so much happier and brighter. I sat up from my bed, slowly stretching my arms over my head.

I studied my reflection in the mirror as I brushed my teeth. Mac Hales looked more mature than she did exactly a year ago, the very last time she was kidnapped. The girl in the reflection looked older, wiser, her eyes were harder, and she looked unhappier. Maybe it was because the last time she was kidnapped, she was young, stupid, and foolish. Now, she was practically a lady, not that crazy girl kidnapped last year.

Kidnapped. What an odd word. I haven’t used it in more than a year. I guess perhaps its because my parents assigned a body guard to watch my every move. 

“Mac?” Rebecca poked her head inside the bathroom door, the steam immediately began to fly out the room. “Ten minutes. Breakfast is on the table.”

Nodding, I slipped off my pajamas and pulled on a pair of off brand jeans and my favorite maroon v neck. Funny thing, I realized after I was kidnapped, I worried less on my appearance and focused more on my studies. I guess Kayden had quite an influence on me after all, I shopped less at Abercrombie and turned to more small, off brand, vintage shops. Yeah, I guess I was turning into a hipster...

As I pulled on the v neck, I turned and studied my body in my floor length mirror, slightly tugging my shirt up to study the scar. The pale line never tanned, it was like a raised white line and about 4 inches long starting from my waist. It was more than a scar though, it was a haunting reminder. Not only of my close encounter with death but also of him.

I skipped down the stairs, throwing my hair into a side ponytail. Rebecca sat on the counter top waiting for me.

“Ready to go?”

I nodded, grabbing a granola bar from a bowl and sliding it into my back pocket. I wasn’t much of a talker in the morning.