Epilogue

The moon was about half visible, partially shrouded by the Earth, and partially by the clouds that remained from a sudden shower earlier that day. The bluish light found only one figure on the lonely top of the downtown building, sitting with her forearms resting on her knees and her wrists crossing each other while drooping downwards. Her black and red hair was pulled into ratty pigtails, and her exposed roots were beginning to betray their true blonde nature.

She sat, staring down at the fine chat that covered the roof, and although she was sad, she could find no more tears to cry. Time had become irrelevant, but in truth she had only been there for about an hour when the sound of boots hitting the roof came to her ears. "Hi'ya, Batsy," she stated emotionlessly while never looking up.

The tall man approached her while attempting to ascertain her emotional state. "Harleen, how are you feeling?"

"Last night I watched the most wonderful man I've ever met push the love of my life off a building. I'm just freaking peachy."

He crouched in front of her, and she glanced up to see the mark that her bullet had left in his chest-plate. She touched it and then found his brown eyes. "Did it hurt?"

"Like hell. That was a dangerous game you played with my life last night, Harleen."

"You told me it was bulletproof..."

"I said in theory. You could've killed me," he growled with more anger than he'd intended.

She reached up and traced his lips with her index finger. "I'm sorry. But you knew... we all knew that I couldn't do it. I hated him, but I loved him, 'ya know?"

His anger subsided. "I know."

"So, what will happen to me now?" She asked as she broke eye contact and returned her gaze to the chat below.

The Bat sighed. "I will speak to Mr. Dent, but considering your escape from the hospital and subsequent theft of a police car, it won't be easy. I would imagine community service and an ankle monitor at the bare minimum."

She glanced down at her boot. "Well, that'll be a mood killer." She then sighed and shook her head. "Do they know that I was there?"

"They suspect, but I told them that you weren't. And since it's highly unlikely that I'll be subpoenaed..."

She snorted a slight laugh. "Yeah, where would they send the warrant-server guy? To every roof in Gotham?"

He removed his glove, just as he'd done a few nights earlier and gently rubbed her cheek. At first, it seemed as if she was going to pull away, but she ultimately pressed her left hand against his and squeezed.

"You aren't going to turn yourself in, are you?" He asked quietly.

She snorted a subtle giggle. "Jeeze Bats, you can read me like a book... a trampy, neurotic book that may or may not be missing a few pages."

His hand was still gently cupping her cheek, so he moved it down to her chin and gingerly lifted until their eyes met. "Don't sell yourself short Har... um..."

"Harley is fine, Batsy. It fits me." She allowed her lips to curve into a pained, yet genuine smile.

"I will do everything that I can..." he began.

"Thanks, but no thanks. If I turn myself in and things go sideways, they might send me to Arkham. Joker may have made me, but Arkham made him. I... I can't go there. If you think I'm screwed up now..."

"I understand."

Her eyes were still fixed on his. "Are you gonna take me in, sheriff?"

The Bat continued to stare into her crystal blue eyes. "No, just try to stick to the straight and narrow, alright?"

Her smile morphed into one of almost childlike innocence. "No promises, but I'll do my best, Batsy."

"Where will you go?" He asked, trying unsuccessfully to hide a slight crack in his voice.

"My ma still lives in Jersey," she laughed. "What, you think I made this accent up? Hell, I spent most of my college career trying to hide it!"

Without warning, the Bat suddenly leaned in and kissed her. The moment was blissful, but short. He pulled back and looked away as if he were ashamed. "I'm sorry, Harley. I am truly going to miss you. At least we have agreed to be adults about this."

She wrinkled her nose. "I didn't agree to a damned thing, Batsy. But I s'ppose you're right."

He reached into one of the pouches on his belt and retrieved what appeared to be several neatly-folded $100 bills. "There will be a ticket at the bus station in your name for New Jersey," he stated as he pressed the money into her right palm. "Perhaps a less... obvious outfit?"

She stood and stuffed the money into the red side of her red and black bustier. "If I ever get back this way, I'll look you up." She then wrapped her arms around his torso, and the two stood for what could have been a short eternity. "Thanks, Bats... you're alright," she whispered as the embrace finally ended.

He didn't utter another word, but instead walked to the edge of the building, flicked his wrists and held his cape outwards causing him to actually resemble a man-sized bat. Without looking back, he fell forward and was almost instantly engulfed by the darkness below.

Harleen watched as he disappeared into the night. "Say what you want, but he's got style," she muttered.

"Yeah, and he's a pretty good kisser, too," Harley replied.

Harleen removed the cash from her bustier. "I guess we'd better get to the bus station," she murmured while absentmindedly counting it.

"...oooor, we could get our nails done. Just sayin'," Harley suggested.

"Oooh, I like the way you think!" Harleen smiled.

"It's almost as if we were the same person!" Harley laughed as she approached the fire escape. The streets of Gotham waited below, and during the long descent her laughter became louder, darker, and disturbingly familiar.

-fin-