19

Chantal's companions moved to flank her as the enemy approached, and for a moment the two groups regarded each other with palpable hostility. Thérèse in particular cast a long look of fierce challenge at Honoré Dubois from her darkly glinting eyes. But to Chantal's surprise she and her cohort simply moved on, passing by Dubois's company without incident. When the Boisverts and Lapierres disappeared into the crowd she expelled the imprisoned breath from her lungs.

"Loups garous do not call attention to their pack conflicts when surrounded by normal humans," whispered Dubois in her ear. "It is considered bad form."

Chantal turned to him in relief. "So they won't give us any trouble?"

"Not here, no."

"I'm glad. I'd hate to have to leave. This looks like such a great event."

"It is. It was at the Balle that I first met my dear wife, many years ago." Dubois gazed with fondness at Angélique, who squeezed his arm affectionately.

"This dance is very popular with our people," she told Chantal. "All of the old wolf-families attend. Your parents came up to Carnaval the year they were married and danced together at the Balle. I will never forget it: so striking they were as a couple, he so tall and dark and she so petite and fair. And so very obviously in love. Many people commented on it." There was the trace of a tremor in Angélique's voice, and her eyes held a sheen that was more than a reflection of light. Chantal felt her own eyes misting over.

"Did my mother – know?" she asked in a low voice.

"Certainement. Édouard told her everything. It was against the rules, but he loved and trusted her that much, and she accepted it because she loved him too. She was not afraid at all; on the contrary, she thought it wonderful and magical, and said she wished she could be loup garou herself and run with him in the wilderness. Can you imagine what it felt like to Édouard to be accepted like that, after years of hiding his true nature from society?"

"But then why did he hide it from me?" said Chantal. "Why take me away to America, and never even leave a note to tell me what I was?"

"Because he feared what his family might do to you. He suspected that his family arranged your mother's fatal accident, and so he deliberately left you ignorant of your heritage. He wanted to keep you safe. I only wish he had stayed with you and raised you, instead of returning to confront the Boisverts. But he desired justice for Helen's sake. After he was killed Thérèse, not knowing what he'd said to your family in America, dared not contact you. And Honoré said that we should not do so either, but respect Édouard's wishes that you live a normal life. If you decided of your own free will to contact us, he said, that was another matter. We are so very glad that you did: there is so much of your parents in you, child, that it's almost like having them back with us again." She gave Chantal's shoulder a little pat. "Now. Let us go join the party." She took Raoul by the arm, and Dubois held out his hand to Chantal.

The Regency dances were not really so very complicated, she found; she was reminded of the country dancing she had learned in school as a child. It was obvious that they were designed as a way for people to meet and socialize, since you danced not only with your own partner, but in a larger group. In many of them you had to pass along the whole length of the set, dancing briefly with each man on the opposite side before returning to your partner. Hand and eye contact were necessary and unavoidable. She was just starting to get into the rhythm of one long dance, mirroring her older and more experienced partner's moves as she made her way down a long line of men, when she made a turn and found herself face to face with Yves Lapierre. She stopped dead.