Chapter one The Proposal

"I cannot accept you", Elizabeth firmly stated her tone well past civility. With that, she turned and exited the house in search of some solace.
       Mrs. Bennet rushed into the dining room and swept past Mr. Collins in an uproar trying to stop Lizzie from getting past the gate, with no such luck.
            Mr. Collins was frozen in place, shocked at the idea of being refused. There was no reason that any young lady couldn't be happy to be with him. He was well connected, wealthy, employed.
          Jane was at the door trying without success to move the hysteric girls into the drawing room to avoid any further embarrassment for Mr. Collins. Mary, on the other hand, was fixed in the doorway an expression of reserved and somehow prideful longing on her face. She moved forward quietly stopping beside Mr. Collins she then spoke,
" I apologize on my sister's behalf, sir. She does not always take upon her the duties that fall upon her shoulders."
" I quite understand Ms. Bennet. My dear cousin, would you care to join me as I take a turn through your park?"
" I would be honored, sir. But pray let me first go to my mother and with her speak."
" I shall oblige you of this, I shall meet you outside." Mr. Collins smoothly replied, noticing an opportunity worth seizing.
Mary went forth into the Library where she knew she would find her mother imploring Mr. Bennet to come and make Lizzie change her mind. Mr. Bennet was about to relent when she entered the room,
"There is no need papa. I am going to take a walk with Mr. Collins, within the hour all will be well. It would be of no use for you to go out there anyhow  Papa for you know full well that Lizzie will not change her mind."
Mrs. Bennet was at first shocked, then enraged. When she finally realized what Mary was doing her frown turned to an expression of delight.
"Yes Mary you must go on a walk with Mr. Collins, be sure to take him up to the mount it is a long walk but he will find the view splendid!"
                        Mrs. Bennet had never actually been on the walk herself, she only heard of how lovely it was from  Jane on days when Elizabeth would insist upon her coming with her.
     So Mary quietly exited the house and met with Mr. Collins passing Elizabeth much to her surprise and shock. But  Mary pretended to take no notice of her and proceeded to walk with Mr. Collins up the mount.
    The next day Mr. Collins proceeded to ask for a private audience with Mary. Mrs. Bennet was hasty in accepting and shooing all of the girls out of the room and a few minutes later they were engaged. Much to the delight of Mrs. Bennet, and dismay of Elizabeth. To the surprise of all, he used the same simpering speech he spoke to Elizabeth the day before. Mary, however, took no notice of this and chose to obviously ignore her two younger sisters who were gaping and whispering to each other not envious in the least.
Hey guys! This is my first story on wattpad and I'm super excited I hope you enjoyed this first chapter as much as I loved writing it! I have a lot of ideas for this story and I would love to hear yours. I think I'll update again soon because I know what will be in the next chapter already!