Part 24

They spend Christmas tangled up on the couch watching Christmas specials, all of Youngjae's favorites. Jaebum bakes gingerbread cookies. Youngjae won't eat any, he can't, but he likes the smell and he likes watching Jaebum bake, so.

"Got you a present." Jaebum tells him later that night, pulling off his shirt and closing his fingers around the object in his hand.

Youngjae's mouth pops open a little, cheeks turning bright red and Jaebum doubles over with laughter. "Oh, sweetheart," he chuckles, fingers smoothing Youngjae's fringe out of the way. "Not like that. Here, look," he explains, turning around and pointing to the inking on the back of his neck.

Youngjae frowns, looking confused at the sloping black lines. It's okay, though - Jaebum expected him to be confused.

"This," Jaebum says, clearing his throat and taking Youngjae's hand to press it to the tattoo, the one that still stings a little, being so new, "is your heartbeat."

Youngjae's frown gradually dissipates and he blinks at Jaebum, staring for a long time and his eyes are getting really, really glassy and oh, he's going to cry and Jaebum leans down to peck his lips and nose at his jaw, murmuring, "Baby, don't cry. Don't be sad."

"'M not sad," Youngjae says at once, voice sharp. "'M happy."

And, fuck. Now Jaebum's crying, too. He can't keep the stupid, happy grin off his face as he holds out the silver chain in the palm of his hand. Youngjae peers at it curiously, wiping at his eyes furiously with the back of his hand.

Hanging from the silver chain is a tiny silver paper airplane and, next to that, a circle with another set of curving lines, sloping like mountains. "And this," Jaebum says, gently slipping the chain over Youngjae's head, "is my heartbeat."

"Oh," Youngjae says softly, fingers reaching to touch the charms, now lying snugly against his chest.

"Do you like it?" Jaebum asks hopefully, and he barely has time to register what's happening before Youngjae is launching himself at him, and they're a tangle of limbs and tears and Youngjae is crying, "Yes, yes, love it, love you, thank you thank you thank you."

Jaebum's heart swells. With Youngjae in his arms, he feels like he can do anything.