prologue

What exactly was the sound of a heart breaking?

Was this the end?

I needed answers. I needed to confront things but the stretch of my mind was set far off from the future. It was stuck in the past. Past is powerful. Past could break you, ruin you and might possibly destruct you.

And the present is right now. This moment, this exact moment where I'm drunk my ass off, trying to dissolve the melancholy of the situation by taking desperate gulps of hard liquor. It is raining and depressing. No matter how many times I try to blink my eyes, the picture inside my head remains the same. It doesn't go away.

I can see them both, moulded against each other, skin to skin, mocking me, satisfied moans escaping both of their mouths in sync.

The sound of a heart breaking was real but not tangible. It ached. It crawled. It hurt. And it didn't parry. It multiplies as soon as the seconds tick away.

Tonight I was getting drunk on heartbreak. My heartbreak. It involves a man, the man I decided to seal my future with long ago, the man who once had my heart but now crushed it. Disgustingly and existingly.

Everything looked so wrong and unfair. Was this the price for loving too hard?

Life was a bitch. Humans were assholes.

The coldness of the water has dampened my clothes completely but it doesn't matter. My heart's on fire and it needs the water to quell the flaring.

I bring the tip of the Vodka bottle close to my lips, open my eyes just a bit and relish the burning sensation that endures until the liquid settles inside my stomach.

It sucked but it felt good.

Acceptance didn't come welcomingly. This time it came harshly, like a tornado that biffed me away. I run a hand through my wet hair and release the hair tie.

What if I jump into the water right now?

No one would notice right?

No one would care.

Purpose. It vanished the second I entered the apartment and saw it myself. Conviction doesn't take long time to build. It takes even less time to break, to sever.

I bite my lip as a single tear slithers down my cheek. I continue to tread until I'm at the very end of the railing of the bridge.

I feel broken, shattered and blue and it's all because of you . . .

". . . Carter,"

Screwing my eyes shut, I let my arms loosen and take a leap in front.

My body lands under the water speedily. I gasp rapidly for oxygen. Finally giving in to the struggle and the acceptance to grave in, I allow the drowsiness to take over my body. I don't try to reach the surface, as the cold, cascading water swallows me up.

My eyes shut close fully and the last thing I hear before I lose my conscious is someone shouting: "Marina!"

---

wow i really suck at keeping promises. almost 2 months since i've been away from writing. the decision to rewrite purpose wasn't almost immediate. i took a week to carefully think where i've done and gone wrong in the development of my story? :0

this is the rewritten prologue of purpose and i hope you enjoyed it! 

thank you for reading and let's join in the ride of marina and harry yet again ((:

-meg