3 years

Dear Evan Hansen,
                                    Today is a good day and here's why. I'm on a beach in sunny California with my husband reading a book next to me. I have decided to write about our first date.
Me and Jared went our separate ways after we finished school, despite us becoming 'friends' again we never really hung out anymore.
I was at Al Á modes having a strawberry ice cream and pancakes when Jared walked in.
"Hey." I said grabbing his attention.

"Oh hi." He replied seemingly torn on whether or not to sit by me. He eventually gave in and sat opposite me.

"What are you having?" I asked breaking the ice.

"I'm having a coconut and peanut butter ice-cream cone."

"Cool, I'll go and order it." As I walk over to order, Jared is behind me uncomfortable. He tried to hand me money but I refused. This was the least I could do after all I put him through.
As we sat back down, I saw Jared wiping away tears.

"What's wrong?" I asked. I avoided the obvious question 'are you okay?' Because frankly it pisses me off when people do that. I'm clearly not okay if I'm wiping away tears. (This is the writers mini rant that they want to project on to their characters)

"It's just really good to see you Evan. I'm sorry I was such an awful friend to you when we were in high school."

"What do you mean, I was the one who treated you like human garbage?" I replied grabbing onto his hand.

"Well it was clear you had mental health problems and you found a way to project them onto Connor. I behaved like a child and I should have realised that there was more to the story than you wanting to be found and to sleep with Zoe Murphy." He said in one breath.

"Jared, we were teenagers! Every teenager has mental health issues but no one else but me decided to write letters to a dead boy." I said almost whispering in the end.

We sat in silence for a minute holding hands, looking at each-other weeping. Almost at the same time I start laughing. Not a small giggle you can cover with your hand. Nope a chuckle that hurts your belly and catches the attention of those around you. Once I calmed down I manage to croak out the reason I had a fit of laughter in the first place.

"Me and Zoe never had sex."

Jared looked shocked at my announcement.

"You didn't!?"

"Dude I can't even look Zoe in the eye, how did you expect me you seduce her. Plus she only went out with me because I was more Broken than her which is an achievement in its self according to her. She sat me down on the bed after she found out I lied about the emails, and she told me how she loved me and she  wanted to sleep with me,but as I was honest with her she would be honest with me . She explained that she was this thing called Asexual and that she never felt any sexual attraction towards anyone. She is looking into different labels on the spectrum but she is sticking to that for now. We actually became good friends after everything was out in the open."
Jared smiled a sad smile.

"Man I can't believe you we so dorky you made Zoe Murphy never want to have sex with anyone ever again hahaha."

Just like that the awkwardness disappeared and we left the ice cream parlour knowing that something was blooming between us. We took a walk around the park and Jared made me a flower crown out of Daisy's.

We walked back to his car holdings hands and blushing like 12 year olds meeting Zac Efron. We both established by then this was a date.

"Well bye then." Jared whispered looking at my lips. I leant in and we kissed softly tasting like ice cream and wishing we could stay like this forever.

After we broke apart Jared muttered in my ears, something that would haunt me to this day.

"No homo bro"

After getting home I saw a text from him saying.

'Jk Evan, We both know we are pretty gay x'

I call him and we whisper confessions that we would be too embarrassed to say face to face. I fell asleep that night, knowing that I was going to marry Jared Klienmen one day.

So that's what I did.

From your most trusted and dearest friend.

Sincerely me.