The Final Chapter - Fifteen

"Looks like you're finally awake. Congratulations on your victory, Kalia."

She ignores him. Though she has returned to consciousness, her eyes remain shut to assess her situation using her other senses. The vessel, or at least the sole engine car, lives. She can feel it gliding across solid terrain beneath her. It grinds and squeals harshly as it travels, working miraculously even after being badly damaged in the bout.

The atmosphere is no longer sweltering hot; the air neither smells pleasant nor foul.

Hands bound behind her back, Kalia finds herself slumped sideways and sitting with her back against the wall. The cufflike restraints are solid and immobilizing; they feel as though they are made from some sort of ethereal energy. Anxiety overtakes the girl as dozens of worries race through her mind at once. Giratino did not tell her exactly how to "deal" with the remaining situation. She wonders if she possesses the strength to merely break free of her restraints, let along fight again if need be. And then, the final question remains. Who is it? She opens her eyes.

Sitting in the operator's seat where Misako had been just a short while ago is perhaps not surprisingly, none other than the devious schoolboy Antagonis Aquino with his hands on a glowing control board. Like his vessel, he too is alive; scathed, bruised, and tattered, yet as well as ever. When he spoke, Kalia noticed the new raspy sound of his voice. With a heavy lisp, his words sputtered through his lips. Though only the right side of his head is visible, Kalia imagines how disfigured Antagonis must be after surviving being stabbed in the face with his own broadsword.

Kalia looks to her right. Beside her, sitting upright and awake, Minotauria is bound as well. Though she is also currently incapacitated, Kalia is relived solely by the sight and knowledge that she has not only survived, but has come to. Minotauria's sheer presence provides the girl a slight sense of comfort and settles the girl's anxiety a tad bit for she is secure in the knowledge that she is not alone. When Minotauria notices Kalia looking up at her, she returns her gaze albeit expressionless. Kalia flashes a slight smile.

"Still want to go back to Earth, kid?"

"I want to know why you felt the need to lie to me about everything to trick me into helping you after he touched me and gave me the ability."

"I take it you are now familiar with the truth. Well not everything I told you was a lie. Yes, I twisted my words. Deceived you. But it is all for a greater purpose. Understand that we needed to be sure you were the one. The one needed to already be powerful enough to destroy Ringer who had devoured countless souls while their own soul hadn't fully been awakened yet. He knew we always intended for him to perish, that's why he stole that weapon he called Ia. That's also why he had the other passengers knocked unconscious before boarding. It was between you, Sing-Sing, Maya, Sergore, and Minotauria.

"Then who was Marshall and that girl Taeyeon?"

"Nothing but a pair of nuisances that my Lady Hieress and I will soon eliminate. It looked like he wanted you to win against Greiis, but not if it meant our success. That's why he left you there. But I saved you. Minotauria too. You're both welcome."

"You only saved me because I have something you want. Just take it and let us go! We've done nothing wrong to you! Nothing! I'm just a kid!"

"Just taking it is not that simple, if it were I might have let you drown. But you're in luck today. After all you've been through in the past twenty-four Earth hours, Lady Hieress and I have decided we will let you go for now. Not only that, but wherever your journey takes you, you will be protected from harm by us for as long as you are essential to our goal. It's all over for now. That's not a lie."