Chapter 1: First Letter of Him

Hey, I don’t know if you are counting at me or not, maybe I’m just hallucinating, I’m not certain. Merely, I can’t stop thinking of you and how, your eyes and ghostly smile always kept me moving throughout the intact day. Like you cannot picture the earth without the moon, I can’t image the Earth without the sunlight, to make life and passion to others. 

Hey, I miss you, we’ve never been able to say our goodbye’s nor give an exchange of ‘I love you’ to another. Merely, I miss you… I want your head on my lap, where I can run my fingers through your delicate and slick hair. Did I ever say, ‘I love you’ to you? Because, I truly do. I miss you Louis. 

Her eyes were blank as she counted upwards at the sky, totally clean and blue, no clouds to bother her. Olympia, Washington; a place where, not only she and he met, but, also where the lovers were supposed to marry. A decision big enough, to cause any two to rethink, no thoughts were processed, with the two, other than those. Before he departed to fight in the Pacific War, a great deal alike the rest of the human beings who were shipped abroad. Tears brimmed in her eyes, No more... Why can't you...

"Mary!" A familiar voice called out to her. She quickly wiped the tears away and looked down to see the neighbor's child, Lil' Lucy, who always called the woman by her middle name. "Mary, when's Uncle Lou comes back?" 

Uncle Lou, a nickname Lucy gave to Louis who was a childhood friend of the neighbour. Mary, or better yet, Destiny, was somewhat of a friend of Louis, though, the two actually met in elementary school, where the two were quite close to one another. 

"Oh! Mary," Lucy smiled. "I went to your house and your helper said to give this to you, she says that it's from Uncle Lou!" 

Destiny blinked a few times, she gingerly took the letter in her hand, and kissed Lucy on the forehead, the small blonde haired girl just giggled and ran back to her house, where her mother was waiting for the little girl. Destiny looked at the envelope, it afforded her a sensation of promise. Opening it quickly, she saw the words which gave her more reassurance. Louis...In some way, I can yet pick up that soft voice of yours...

She noticed how Louis wrote in his usual cursive, neat and a bit wet, possibly of the rainfall. Destiny smiled softly, she was happy, he kept his end of the deal, after all those months or maybe years ago:

"Dearest Destiny;

I don’t recall the last time I changed the words 'I love you' to you, but, right now, I can tell you one thing, I don't recall. I don't remember how or when I would be able to be with you, have you in my arms and hold you close to me as if you're the only person I could ever dream of. I overlook the times when we would always smile under the shining sun. This war, I hate it, with every bone in my torso, I detest this war. 

I saw many of the Japanese citizens walking passed us, the walk was unbearable really. This war, I don't know why we sustain it, it's a horrible ordeal and I hate it, I hate the stink of blood and bile filled in the gentle wind, also the mud that cakes my boots. The rainfall is not getting things better either. I don't recognize how many people I have killed, or, how many people I saw littered the mud spread over Earth. The soldiers, I know, some have lost their heads already, already crowded with the sensation of death in their breath and survey. 

"Kill the Japs!" Was all they said, I don't know...If this war’s over and I get back to you, I desire you to know, that, I love you forever. Has it been only two years since we last watched one another? I can't keep count anymore, I hate this place. I detest it, I hate the hell which we dwell in. Where, monsters live in every fucking corner!

I trust to write soon to you, I really hope to, see your letters every day, much like we kept our promise to one another to marry under the alter when we were little children...I promised you, and I will do so...

I love you, 

Louis Johnathan Klein."