Mako the Divergent

I sat still as Tonraq cut my hair. He snipped carelessly and even though I haven’t told him, I was always nervous when he does because usually I would wind up having a bleeding ear. Or worse. But if I did, it would only get me into more trouble than I could explain.

I’m Abnegation, and that means that I have to be selfless. All the time.

Today I was to take a test, to determine which faction I am fit for. I was born into Abnegation faction and there are four other factions that I could potentially join. But then that’ll mean leaving my Abnegation life behind, including my family.

When I was eight, my parents never came home from one of their business trips. They were council members and their job was important for the Abnegation’s existence. But I don’t understand how they’re job made them leave me and my brother without any guardians. Bolin was only six.

After that everything kept happening so fast, we were taken into custody by my parent’s closest friends, Senna and Tonraq Waters. We had no other options. I remember how I would tell them that I could take care of Bolin on my own, but they would tell me this is what my parents would have wanted.

I doubt that.

 Staring out the window, I wondered what faction choices I would receive today. Would I be given the opportunity to join Candor, the faction of the honest? Or maybe Amity, where I will have to remain peaceful the rest of my life? Then there’s Erudite, the intelligent. That faction spends the majority of their lives seeking knowledge. I rather jump off a cliff.

Last, the faction my foster mother, Senna, came from. The Dauntless. I’ve watched people in that faction from a distance all my life. Their wit and strength gives them to power to do anything. To be brave. Senna wasn’t supposed to, but when we were young she would tell us stories of her dauntless life. I’d always boasted to Bolin that I was going to join the Dauntless and leave Abnegation forever. But that idea died after I realized that I wasn’t brave. I never was brave and never could be.

So that left me staying in Abnegation. Like Bolin wants. I guess today I shall find out. What I truly want and not what I think.

“Are you nervous?” Tonraq asks me as he continues cutting.

“How can you tell?"

“You’re feet are shaking against the ground, and your fingers are twitching.”

   I didn’t respond after that because I didn’t feel the need to. Tonraq always told me that Bolin and I were lucky to have him and Senna.

 They were better guardians my own mother and father ever were to be honest.

 The door knocked and Bolin stepped in. He was holding a can of scrambled eggs out to me. He wasn’t wearing his usual smile.

“Here,” He said and I took the eggs. “We can walk to school while you eat.”

“How convenient of you, Bolin.” Tonraq grinned. “Just in time, you’re all set Mako.”

 He brushed off the extra hair and then took out the broom and began to clean.

“Have fun with the test,” Tonraq called, as we headed down the stairs.

 Honestly, since when do “test” and “fun” belong together in the same sentence?

                                                           ~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

“I know what you’re going to do.” Bolin said as we turned the corner.