Lessons from Werewolf the Game

A very fun game that I was introduced to by many of the Jr

A very fun game that I was introduced to by many of the Jr. High guys at Harvey Cedars that week in June 2014 was "The Werewolf Game". I had actually thought the guys had made the whole thing up in their heads as sort of a "super-Mafia" style card game. I was surprised our first night there to find out it was a real game!

Later in the week a unique challenge was given to me – to come up with a lesson based on the game and the boys' interactions as they played it. It was fun to try and come up with a plausible (and more importantly, biblical) "lesson" based off the game.

Below is that lesson. So here's to you Xavier, Jordan, Mark, Arty, Evan, Mason, Matt, Jake, Kirby, Sam, Cole, Jarred and Tom – your very own Werewolf Game Lesson! Enjoy!

*********************************

The big idea in the Werewolf Game is for the townsfolk to discover and eliminate the werewolves before being all killed by them. Each of the cards in the game represents one of several different key characters. These characters each have a different role to play. These characters are:

Ø The Townspeople

Ø The Werewolves

Ø The Sheriff

Ø The Hunter

Ø The Fortune Teller

Ø The Witch

Ø The Little Girl (or Boy)

Ø The Matchmaker (Cupid)

Ø The Narrator

Here is what I see these characters representing in your lives....

1. The Townspeople – The townspeople represent you, your friends, the church. These people are trying to live in peace and harmony, however there are hidden dangers. Werewolves who look and act one way by day and totally another at night are secretly out to destroy the town. We too as Christians are called to "be devoted to one another in brotherly love" (Romans 12:10) and "live in harmony with one another..." (Romans 12:16). In real life, you guys should work to encourage one another, watch out for each other and build each other up (Proverbs 27:17).

2. The Werewolves – These in a broad sense represent sin itself. The can also represent people who pretend to be our friends but really don't have our best interest at heart. Just as in the game the werewolves must be eliminated, sin in our lives must also be dealt with...and eliminated. Too often we compromise and say to ourselves that what we are doing isn't all bad. However when we compromise we slowly get trapped in our sins. "Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord with a pure heart." (2 Timothy 2:22). Also check out Matt. 7:15-23.

3. The Little Girl (Boy) – In the game the Little Girl is trying to secretly view who the werewolves are without getting caught. If she is caught, it is an instant death. This can be a warning for us to be careful about being drawn into things we know are wrong. We think we can stay on the outside and just observe or only try it once. Sin is a deadly trap, and we can get caught before we know it. Think back to the Francis Chan video series we saw in the morning sessions for several examples of this. (2 Timothy 3:1-5).