Chapter 53- Promise Me

Third Person POV

Ashton had done exactly what the blue haired man told him to. He found the little cabin easily and made his way to the back entrance. It was a sliding glass door.

Ashton tried his best to concentrate, but that was made difficult for he could barely hear his own thoughts over the loud chirping of the crickets surrounding him. He laid his head back on the warm wood carefully, too afraid to make any noise.

Jacob was true to his word. From what Ashton could see through the glass door, there was no one inside; on the first level at least.

"What's the plan, Ashton?" he whispered to himself.

There wasn't one.

The best idea he thought of was shoot and wound Jacob, find Peyton, and make a way back to Matt. It was easier said than done.

Jacob had more experience in the game of cat and mouse. He was cold hearted and ruthless. He enjoyed the hunt. And when he found you, he wasn't afraid to pull the trigger. He laughed at the consequences and showed no remorse for what's been done.

Ashton was nothing like that.

He was sweet, but rough when he needed to be. He was open, yet defensive. He was selfless; always putting the needs of others before his own. That's why he stayed with Jacob for as long as he did. He didn't care about what happened to him, but his parents were threatened and he couldn't let them be harmed. No matter how cold Ashton acted towards them, they were the closest family he had left. He would never usually fear for himself but he had to admit, the thought of him not coming out of this alive had him terrified.

But he had to go in because she was inside.

This ended tonight.

He pushed off the wall and grabbed the handle, sliding the door open as quietly as he could. He checked the waistband of his jeans, feeling the gun immediately.

Just to be safe.

He entered the cold cabin that was consumed in darkness. There was no source of light that could be found except for the unlit fireplace he spotted from across the room.

Ashton wasn't sure on what he was supposed to do next. Call out for Jacob? Search for him quietly? Find Peyton?

Whatever he chooses, he was at a disadvantage. He didn't know his way around this place and Jacob could be lurking anywhere. He could even be watching him at this very moment.

Ashton let out a shaky breath. "Game on."

Just above him, Peyton lay on the bed quietly, not aware of her boyfriend's presence.

She had stopped crying awhile ago and didn't make a move to dry her tear stained cheeks. She tried and failed to escape and for that, she felt that she had let Ashton down.

She didn't know what was going to happen next, and she was quite happy about that. Her mind was filled with bad thoughts; causing more stress than necessary. She just needed a moment of peace.

As Peyton's eyelids began to get heavy, she finally allowed sleep to pull her in.

That is, until the door swung open and in marched Jacob. She sat up startled and blinked her eyes rapidly to get the sleep out only to be met with her brother coming closer and closer to her.

"Let's go, princess. The show is about to start and you wouldn't want to miss it." He grabbed his sister by the arm and pulled her out of bed. She allowed this to happen, for she was too tired and out of it to process everything or ask any questions.