Chapter 42

They talked for nearly two hours, not only about her medical history, but about the vampire's coven back in the states as well. Even the reason behind her involvement with the Volturi. Both were rather interested in the other, Kahlen mostly with their way of life. They were 'vegetarians' as they put it, not feeding off human blood. That wasn't easy to do. And his family were all very interesting individuals. Especially the ones with gifts. And his granddaughter.

"The Council would have a fit if they ever found out about her," Kahlen warned.

A hybrid. They were said to be rare, an old wives tale even. But then again so were her kind and they were as real as werewolves and vampires. Nothing was impossible.

"If she ever comes to Europe... she needs to be careful."

"I'll keep that in mind. We always assumed you were legends."

"The Volturi believed the same."

Going over his notes and monitoring her breathing habits for another good hour his expression was grave. With one final test the doctor made the hunter lay flat on the bed. Feeling around the abdomen for tender areas and listened closely to the flow of blood beneath the skin. He didn't even have to say it, but Carlisle did anyway. It was all in his expression.

"Please, don't tell them," Kahlen said.

His brows pinched. "Why would you not want them to know?" he wondered.

"It's not their business."

"You don't want them to worry."

Her brow cocked. "Why on earth would they worry?"

The doctor chuckled, head shaking. "Because they care, Kahlen. They really do."

"Like hell–"

"And so do you, otherwise it wouldn't bother you so much for them to know. They called me for a reason instead of leaving you to suffer."

The hunter didn't know what to say.

"I won't tell them, but Aro will find out," Carlisle said. "It is his decision on whether or not to tell the others."

"Fine," she grumbled, looking away to stare at the ceiling.

There were a few pills Carlisle prescribed the hunter to strengthen her immune system, heighten the blood cell count, and take away any pain she could feel from the lingering effects. Marci was to pick them up tomorrow morning from the pharmacy. But that wasn't enough for Aro as Carlisle joined them in the throne room once more. This time he took the doctor's hand in his to further examine their interaction.

"So, what's wrong with her?" Felix asked.

Blinking, the brother let go, allowing the blonde vampire to take back his hand. They stared at each other for a moment before saying, "Nothing. Nothing we need to worry about."

"Then why has she been sick?" Alec asked.

"All humans get sick. They are not immortal. And her work in the field has finally caught up with her. Carlisle said that bed rest for the next few days should be fine and no trips outside the castle until he comes back in a few weeks for a check-up, as you call it."

Heidi escorted the doctor from the castle as Demetri returned to the room. Kahlen was already asleep. He didn't stay long as a pressing matter needed to be attended to in Southern Italy. He left with the twins in a hurry. So when the hunter woke to find Aro in her room examining the bookcase she stocked up on from the library. She was a bit surprised at first.

"Have you come here to lecture me?" Kahlen asked.

The vampire turned to face her and smiled. "That wasn't my intention," the leader said, taking a seat by the bed. "But, I am aware of your condition."

"I knew you would be. There isn't anything in this castle that escapes you."

"There is one," he grinned further. "In case you've forgotten I cannot see you."

"Lucky me."

"Since you are so passionate about saying nothing and keeping this a secret from the others it is not my place to say."

Kahlen was rather surprised by the answer seeing as how the vampire reacted to news in the past. He would tell all those within the Guard, including his brothers, if it benefited their knowledge in some way.

"I will leave that to you, for the time being."

"Why?"

"Because this is a serious matter... And I have reason enough to know I trust you for all that you've done for my coven. You could have easily escaped months ago before the dealing with Makar even began. There's a reason you're withholding this information. But you do know that they will begin to wonder and question. It is only a matter of time. This will grow worse if we cannot find a cure."

"There is none... and there never will be."

"We will still try. In the meantime, your missions, when well, will be limited and simple. Something that will not bring out your other side, which would only speed up the process."

She nodded in confirmation.

"Follow Carlisle's orders, bed rest until everything is in order. Marci will be retrieving your medicine and be sure to take it. We cannot have you collapsing out in the field and leaving yourself vulnerable."

He went to leave the hunter to rest.

"Aro." The vampire paused, looking back at her. "You always were right... In the beginning."

It was funny how long ago that all seemed. A matter involving an intruder getting their hands on a few documents and becoming aware of affairs happening in a world that did not exist to the normal person. One filled with the supernatural that only a select handful knew of.

He grinned. "I always knew that, my dear."

Kahlen gave a horse chuckle. "Well, it's a pleasure to know I stumped the most powerful coven in the world for a time. I'm honored." And a smirk came to her lips. "Maybe you'll write about me in your history books one day. Then you'll have a real legend to tell about hunters. So others know we aren't actually a myth."

Maybe.