[iv]

Harry makes a U-turn when he reaches Valarie's flower shop. He's seen countless people come in and out of the building for the past four hours. It's nine in the evening now and he still feels uneasy. The people that leave the shop never look unsatisfied, yet he still can't bring himself to walk inside. He stuffs his hands in his sleeves and balls it up until he's created sweater paws, shrugging out his arms and rolling his shoulders before breathing out. Then he just goes for it. He pushes his way into the shop and welcomes the earthly scent it brings, eyes lingering over all of the plants and flowers. There are even some trees sprouting out in all corners of the room. It feels like he just walked into a forest.

He hesitantly takes a step forward to stare at the lavender flowers that are sitting beside a section of sunflowers. They're bright and so beautiful. He's almost tempted to lean forward and touch them, but he knows what'll happen if he goes overboard. He links his wrists behind his back to fight the urge while just taking in the sight. He's so caught up in staring at the lavenders that he doesn't hear the owner's voice until she's right next to him and tapping his shoulder.

Harry moves his head to look at her, still leaning over near the purple flowers in order to take in their aroma.

"Would you like some? Everything is on sale today because it's the very first day for the shop."

He pushes his body away from the plants and brings his pawed right hand behind his head to rub his neck. Valarie's hair is up and her apron looks soaked. She's dressed in all orange, a color he doesn't see many people in. Oddly enough, it actually looks nice on her. He still can't get over how short she is compared to him, but he thinks it's kind of cute. Like yin and yang; they're complete opposites even in their physique. They're both partially lanky but Harry's height makes him look like he could be Slender Man. He clears his throat and shakes his head. "I'd bring them back to you dead in an hour if I were to take them."

She laughs. "You can't be that bad."

He just shrugs and psyches himself out for what's to come next. He can feel her eyes on him as he picks up a pot of sunflowers and bring one of the petals between his middle and fore finger, rubbing the soft forbs until it hardens under his fingertips. While the plant dies in his grip, he successfully holds Valarie's gaze hostage against his. Her expression shifts from casual to concerned in a heartbeat as he feels the heavy throbbing behind his eyes. The veins behind his skin begin to pulse wildly. "I've been thinking about the easiest way to tell you this, but then I realized that there is no easy way. So I'll just, you know, I'll just show you instead."

It looks like she wants to say something. Harry waits patiently for her to do so but she never does. Her jaw just hangs open, and when he holds the nearly dead plant out before her, her eyes just widen even more.

The petals look burned and stiff with only a sliver of yellow on one of the parts, though it looks to be drying up. He picks up one of her hands and makes her touch the plant, shifting on his feet awkwardly. He's worried he's just messing everything up. "You can save it, right? It's not completely dead."

Finally, she speaks up. Her voice is hushed and shaky. "How did you-"

"You don't even know who you are, do you?"

"How did you-"

"It's my job. It's what I do, like how you save things."

"I don't..." She pauses with a frown, moving her eyes to look up at him. His have surely went back to normal by now but he can tell that she's still in shock. There's no doubt in his mind that this will ruin his chances on becoming her friend. He probably comes across as some creep on unclassified drugs.