Prologue: Flawed Design

A/N: So, this is my try on what happens after season 4. I really miss the show and all I seem to have left is fanfiction, so here we go.

Prologue

Everyone thought that Sylar had died. Well, almost everyone. After Sylar had saved the world together with Peter, he had changed a little by then. He had found a new meaning for his life. He actually liked saving people. You could say that Gabriel Gray was still part of him. But he was neither Sylar or Gabriel anymore. Sylar Reborn or something like that.

Gabriel Gray had been a shy young man, just a casual watchmaker who minded his own business, generally didn't object to anything. He couldn't stand up for himself. But Sylar, he was completely different kind of story. 

He still liked to call himself Sylar tough. He wasn't comfortable with calling himself Gabriel Gray. He wasn't that shy, and awkward boy anymore. He was better than that. 

After Chandra Suresh had found him and told Gabriel about other people with special abilities, Gabriel knew he wasn't going to be ordinary anymore. Finally, he was the one who was special. That was what he had always wanted. But then after some tests, Suresh had said that Gabriel didn't have any special abilities. And that had made him so angry. But it really was just the beginning of what made Gabriel become Sylar.

He soon got the name of Brian Davis from Suresh without him knowing. Sylar killed Brian to get his Telekinetic ability. That was the first time Gabriel let his hunger take control and that was also the exact moment he became Sylar. He got that name from his watch, which is ironic considering that he is a watchmaker. 

Oh, how wrong Suresh had been about Gabriel. He actually did have an ability of his own but it wasn't what kids read from comic books. It wasn't the kind he had dreamed of. Sylar had Inituitive Aptitude. The ability to understand how things work, what makes them tick, how to fix them. But the power had an unfortunate side effect. Sylar had the thirst to understand and find flaws in things. He wanted to have every ability he encountered. And the hunger for more power just grew.

The truth was that Sylar was nothing more than a serial killer, murdering people with abilities and taking them for himself by slicing open their heads and removing their brains. He had no control over what he was. But what was he now? After helping Peter save Emma, after saving the world from Samuel? He was going through an identity crisis. He wasn't sure what to do with himself. Even though he wasn't killing anymore, he was still calling himself Sylar. 

What else could he call himself? Gabriel Gray? No. He just wasn't comfortable with that name anymore. Hadn't been for a while now. He wasn't that ordinary boy anymore. He never wanted to be ordinary again. Saving the world was his chance to renew himself. To be a new man. Saving someone had actually felt good. It made him happy. Peter seemed to be happy for Sylar too. But that was five months ago. A lot had happened after that.