Chapter 10

Milo woke early the next morning, by instinct. He knew a lot needed done and the sooner it was taken care of the better off they would all be. His conversation with Carlton continued to swirl in his head.

When he glanced at the clock and saw that it was seven in the morning, he decided that was a good thing. He turned his attention to Katarina, who was sleeping peacefully in his arms. He really didn't want to wake her, but he didn't want to keep secrets from her either.

With a smile, he figured he could kill two birds with one stone and maybe get himself a little reassurance at the same time.

Milo cupped Katarina's face in his hands and kissed her lightly. He could feel her eyelashes fluttering against his cheek as he kissed the side of her eye and moved his lips down to the edge of hers.

There was the briefest movement of her lips, as he kissed the corner of her mouth and it made him smile. Wake up, little wolf, he asked gently, once again pressing his mouth to hers in a lingering kiss. There was a slight return in pressure for a moment and then soft lips parted under his.

Mint eyes opened and focused directly on him.

It's early, my love, but we have much to do today. He confessed, with a sigh.

What are these plans that are ruining our perfect day? Katarina's voice asked, inside his head.

He turned and smiled at the beautiful creature beside him. As much as he wanted to play, it was time to take care of his little wolf.

I had a chat with your father last night. He says you and Leo are in danger. We have to protect the house, he explained, briefly. He went into more detail about the unexpected intrusion into his head, the reading of his thoughts and memories and every theory that Carlton had come up with so far. He could feel the confusion and worry radiating off his little wolf, but that was expected. He didn't tell me not to tell you, so I'm telling you. I don't want us to have secrets and we can do a better job of keeping everyone safe, if we all know the truth, he reasoned, with a shrug.

I agree, Katarina smiled and turned onto her side, with a thoughtful look. I think we should cut it down to the four of us. Your mother is still with the sick child so it will be me, you, Leo and your father in the house. I think you should send the guards outside, just in case,

Milo thought about that for a minute and decided she was right. There was no telling who was a danger to them and who wasn't. It was best to limit the suspects. Alright, I'll send the guards away. You and I can do the spell to protect the house, he agreed, thinking over the plans inside his head. We'll wake Leo and my father, explain everything to them and have breakfast. I'm thinking we should stick to the downstairs living room for the day, since the kitchen's just next door. He suggested the best course of action to keep everyone safe.

Yes. But here's my idea, Katarina let him in on the order and way that things should be done. The day was going to be very important and yet, very dull. So it was best to plan to the smallest detail. You get rid of the guards, I'll get the ingredients ready for the spell. We do the spell, protect the house, then you make breakfast and some more of my shakes. I think it's best we all have them today, as it's the best way to fight off mental interference, Katarina explained, surprising Milo with that revelation.

He hadn't known that, but when he thought about it, it seemed obvious. It was the only way to protect her from more visions and prophesies, after already being drained by one.

I'll wake Leo and your father, explain everything to them and we'll meet in the living room, have a DVD day with lots of food and time will fly, she suggested, happily. Whenever my father arrives, he'll send one of us a message, probably you. Then he can explain everything when he gets here.