Lineage Grows in a Downward Web of Corruption

What was he doing? No. Really. What was he doing? Mako rolled over in his less-than-comfortable bed and pulled the scratchy blanket off of his head. He was busy being a spirits-damned mess, that's what he was doing. Ever since Korra had announced she was going to wed that jerk of a councilman Mako just hadn't had the appetite to even leave his room. He couldn't imagine that Korra could actually be happy in her current situation. Not at all. Tarrlok didn't have one ounce of respect for her, and to be honest, Mako would much rather have left him in that little cage Amon had provided him with. But nooo Korra had to convince him to do the "right thing". Damn it, Mako should have known helping out Tarrlok would come back to burn him eventually.

Although... they really hadn't helped him—but they were going to. That's just as bad if not worse than actually helping him. And then what? That conniving bastard is making headlines in the Republic Daily News like "bringing Amon to justice" and "traitorous acts of the councilman are pardoned". The things that Tarrlok did to him—to Korra—they were unforgivable. Could she not see that he was just using her like he had always done in the past? What about everything that Mako had shared with her? The Southern Lights? Pro-bending? His past? Was all of that in vain? How could she run off with a guy like Tarrlok without even a second's thought? Sure, Korra has always been rather jackelbull-headed, but this was just plain careless! He loved her and she tossed him aside as though that didn't mean anything to her!

He loved her...

So how could she do this to him?

Mako never realized how much of a hold over his heart that Korra actually had until she had suddenly announced her wedding plans with the councilman. First there was that surprise engagement necklace that Bolin brought to his attention, then two weeks later she's publicly declaring a wedding date with that pond scum councilman. And then she's traveling with Tarrlok to the Northern Tribe—no doubt to meet her family... maybe aside from her dad. Tonraq hadn't neglected to make a quick stop at the police station to say hello on his way to some "important meeting" with the council that was returned to in-session status after a brief reprieve. So Mako knew that Tonraq had met with Tarrlok at least once. Mako's sharp brows furrowed over his eyes. He couldn't believe that Korra's father had let this happen. Any of this.

His eyes widened, an abrupt wave of realization washing over his face. Mako threw his blanket away from his body, exposing his pajama bottoms and bare chest to the cold air in his room as he sat upright. "It's another set up," he grunted under his breath.

First Unalaq, now Tarrlok. It was almost as though the whole of the water tribe was after Tonraq's position, and everyone knew exactly how to get it: through Korra, the Avatar—his daughter. It was so painfully obvious! Why hadn't Mako seen it before! Korra was in trouble. He needed to do something; he needed to figure out what Tarrlok was planning before it was too late. He was a cop, newly appointed to Detective (officially, anyway), and he was sure that he could crack this case: he just needed a little time.

Unfortunately, time was the one thing that he didn't have much of. It seemed that Korra was slipping further and further away from him. She had told him she loved him once; had made her feelings blatantly known to him once. Feelings like that don't just go away—he knew this for a fact from his experiences with Asami. He still felt very protective over the Future Industries heiress, but Korra was the one that his heart belonged to and he wasn't about to let Tarrlok hurt her or her family.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Jun 14, 2015 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Moon Dropsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें