Aloha, Ku'u Lei (Goodbye, my Beloved)

A/N: Me, after seeing previews for next week: OHMYGERSH, WHAT, WHY, A WEEK? NO, NO, NO, DANNO! STEVE! AHHHHH! BUILDING!!!!!!!! DOES. NOT. COMPUTE. NO. COHERENT. THOUGHTS. And so, here we go. Based on next week’s previews. ;)

* * *

“McGarrett! Danny!” I yelled again, kicking at the rubble. The sun, once burning in the sky, was slowly fading into the horizon. But I couldn’t stop looking. I couldn’t give up on them. “Guys?!” Tears filled my eyes. I had been yelling their names all day. Ever since the bomb went off. Ever since I’d lost every contact I had with the two people I loved most in the world. “Guys?” I whispered.

Kono jogged over after talking to Chin, who had left soon after. “Come on, Phoenix. We need to go.”

“Kono, they’re there. They’re okay.” I sobbed.

She enveloped me in a hug, squeezing my shuddering form. “They’re gone, Nix. They would’ve run out of oxygen by now. I’m sorry.”

“They wouldn’t give up on us, Kono! Why should we give up on them?!”

The rookie gave me an unreadable look. Then she sighed. “Only an hour. Then you have to promise me that you’ll let me take you home. Deal?”

In response I broke away from her, screaming their names once again. My voice was raw with emotion, cracking from the dryness. With all of the yelling I did today, I wouldn’t be surprised if I could even speak tomorrow. Already it was hoarse from overuse. But I didn’t care. “Danno!” my leg caught on a piece of metal wire, and a concrete slab scraped it when my legs tangled slightly. I didn’t even wince as I felt the warm blood trickle down my knee. “Steve?!”

The sun disappeared completely behind the industrial equipment, the moon glowing softly. My heart broke as the hour I was given ticked to an end. Kono stood behind me, but stayed quiet. I stared at the sky above us. “He promised me to always be there. Both of them.”

She squeezed my hand, tugging my arm. “You can stay at my house tonight, in case anything happens.” Unspoken was how I would react to the empty house that symbolized what had happened today.

Wordlessly, I let her guide me to the car. As the compound disappeared in the rearview, so did any remnants of what was left of my hope. The world slowly faded as darkness welcomed me with open arms, tears and nightmares plaguing my sleep.

* * *

“Danny, how long have you think we’ve been down here?” I managed, shivering in the dark. Cement was piled around us, and what little light had penetrated the mounds before had faded long ago. It was also obvious the air was slowly getting thinner and thinner, the oxygen leaving the room at a faster pace than I would have liked.

There was a cough as Danny shifted beside me. “The bomb went off at four, I think. So five hours, give or take.”

“Still no luck?” I asked. He knew immediately what I was questioning about. The link he and Phoenix shared that was supposed to withstand even thousands of miles mysteriously stopped working. We guessed it was because we were so far underground and out of their father’s domain. Either way, it did nothing to help our circumstances.

“Even if I could get a hold of Phoenix, she’s probably out right now, sleeping with too many nightmares.” he shuddered. “She probably isn’t taking this the best.”

I laughed bitterly. “Probably? Danno, she was heartbroken when I was ‘dead’ before! She almost-”

“Don’t go there.” he spat at me, not wanting that particular memory. “She has Kono and Chin this time. And they won’t let her out of their sight. We both know that.”