The stars

Our first lesson was Herbology and we were collecting Bubotuber pus. However that was nothing compared to what Hagrid brought for Care of Magical Creatures. Blast Ended Skrewts. I didn't need to be a Seer to know that they would grow into huge monsters that would have the ability to kill us.

And then finally my favourite lesson. Divination. I sat with Parvati and Lavender at the front waiting breathlessly for Trelawney to come. She looked the same as always, a thin woman wearing large glasses looking every bit like the fortune teller she was.

"Good day." she said walking in."You are preoccupied my dear. My inner Eye sees beneath your brave face to the troubled soul within and I regret to say your worries are not baseless." she said to Harry and I knew that Harry was worried about his dream and the prophecy. He worried about old Voldy. "The thing you dread will indeed come to pass perhaps sooner than you think." she said. Oh please don't let her mean what I think she means, I thought to myself.

"My dears it is time for us to consider the stars. The mysterious portents that they reveal to those of us who understand the celestial dance can be used in unveiling the future of men. The character of our being depends on the planet in power at the moment of our birth." she said

"But Professor that sounds like our destinies are already mapped by our birth." I said in confusion. "Aren't we supposed to map our own destinies?"

"Ah, for some of us they are. You, my dear were supposed to make your own destiny but unfortunately that privilege was taken from you. You have to live with your fate, ah and a dark one it is." she said to me. Her words sent a chill in my spine. I had a dark destiny. Great. She moved on to her favourite subject who, unfortunately was dozing off. "You were born when Saturn was in power." she said. I frowned, that wasn't right.

"What?" asked Harry.

"I was saying you were born under the influence of Saturn." said Trelawney.

"Born under what?" asked Harry.

"Saturn my dear, the planet Saturn! Saturn was surely at a position of power in the heavens at the time of your birth. Your dark hair, your mean stature, tragic losses so young, I think I am right in saying my dear that you were born in midwinter?" she asked and I giggled, she had it all wrong, after all last year she had mistaken Sirius for the Grim.

"No. I was born in July." said Harry.

"He was born under Jupiter Professor. The lord of the stars was in power at the time of his birth because he too was born to be a leader." I said and the class stared at me. Okay I probably shouldn't have said that.

Half an hour later we were creating charts of the stars at the time of our birth. I worked carefully and to my displeasure, Pluto was in power when I was born. Great, just great.

"Ooh I think I have an unaspected planet. What is it Professor?"squealed Lavender.

"It's Uranus my dear." said Trelawney and I snorted. That explained a lot about Lavender.

"Can I have a look at Uranus too Lavender?" asked Ron and it was his fault that we got so much homework.

"A detailed analysis of how the planetary movements will affect you this month, with reference to your personal chart. I want it ready to hand in by Monday, no excuses." This should be peachy.

I met Ginny as I left the room.

"I just came from my first Care of Magical Creatures. I just have to say the Flobber worms are horrible." she complained.

"You should see the homework Trelawney gave to us!" I told her but we had reached a crowd. Apparently Draco was reading something to Ron.

"...Arnold Weasley who was charged with a flying car two years ago, seems to have gotten into a tussle with Muggle law keepers "policemen" over a pair of aggressive dustbins. He appears to have rushed to the aid of Mad Eye Moody the aged ex-Auror who retired when no longer able to tell the difference between a murder and a handshake. Unsurprisingly, Mr Weasley found upon arrival that Moody had raised a false alarm. He was forced to modify memories before escaping from the policemen. Mr Weasley refused to answer questions on why he involved the ministry in a potentially embarrassing scene." Draco paused."And there's a picture of your parents outside their house. If you call it a house. Your mother could lose a little weight." said Draco. Ginny hissed angrily next to me and I had to hold her back as Harry held back Ron.

"Get stuffed Malfoy." said Harry.

"You were staying with them weren't you Potter? So is his mother this porky or is it the picture?"

Ginny tried to break free but I held on. "You know your mother Malfoy, that expression she's got, like there's dung under her nose. Is she always like that or was it because you were with her?" said Harry.

"Don't you dare insult my mother Potter."

"Keep your fat mouth shut then." Harry turned away and Draco attacked him but missed. 

"Oh no you don't laddie." It was Moody and his wand pointed at a white ferret.

Right where Draco had been standing.

I officially liked the guy.