Chapter 9 - Accidents Happen

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Cole Powers
7:01 A.M.

I held my arm around Mikel's neck as we sat at the table. He rested against me as he was on his phone. I rubbed my eyes and groaned tiredly.

Last night, Mikel had woke up screaming. He didn't tell me what for, all I know is he had a terrible nightmare. I've never heard him scream like that. It was almost deafening. But I had stayed up all night with him. I've been up since roughly midnight and went to sleep at around ten at night the previous night. So you can guess how tired I was.

Then, Ian walked over to the table. He plopped his stuff down next to his seat and sat across from Mikel and I.

"Hey guys." He said. I dropped my hands and looked at him, my eyes struggling to stay open.

"Hey..." I responded. I heard Joe chuckle.

"Holy fuck, bro. How much weed have you smoked?" He asked sarcastically with another chuckle. I chuckled.

"I've been up all night." I looked at Mikel and he looked back at me, shaking his head.

"Why?" Joe asked. I turned my head and looked at him again.

"I couldn't sleep. Serious insomnia." I lied. He nodded.

"Damn bro. Sorry."

"It's whatever. I'll get over it." I responded with a smile as my eyes got really heavy. Mikel shook me by jabbing his elbow into my stomach. That little asshole. Heheh.

Then, Charlotte walked over. And she had this other fur with her which appeared to me as a coyote. Charlotte had a huge grin spread across her face.

"Hey guys!" She said with excitement. I lifted my hand up, gestured a "hey" then let it fall back down. I felt as if I would pass out the next time I blinked. But I couldn't with Mikel keeping me up. I was pretty shook at his nightmare. But I was slightly confused when Mikel seemed nervous with me being around him. I didn't want to press on it and accuse him of something I know he would never do. So I dismissed it. I looked at the ground, yelling at my eyes to stay open and my mind to stay awake.

"How are you guys feeling this morning?" Charlotte asked.

"Cole couldn't sleep last night, so that's why he looks like he wants to kill himself, I'm good, and I don't know about Mike." I heard Joe respond.

"I'm good." Mikel responded to Charlotte's question. I couldn't focus on anything but keeping my eyes open. I can't remember anything past that. It's all a blur. I do remember us meeting Greg though. All I got was his name at the time before I started to lose consciousness.

Joseph Boyer
7:42 A.M.

Cole looked like he had been beaten severely. He needed sleep, but every time he would start to doze off, Mikel would keep him awake. I finally decided to step in.

"Hey Mikel?" I spoke. Mikel looked at me with a curious look. "Can I speak to you in private?" I asked. He nodded and stood up with me. We walked over to the bathrooms and I looked at Mikel.

"What's going on?" I asked. "Why are you keeping Cole awake? I know he or you don't have insomnia. What happened last night?" I asked.

"I don't wanna talk about it..." Mikel said, interlocking his paws and twiddling his thumbs.

"Mikel... Tell me."

He sighed.

7:55 A.M.

"-And then he stayed up with me. I didn't want to go back to sleep after seeing... him."

Mikel had told me of his nightmare and the "demon" he had seen that looked like Cole.