Chapter 1

Chapter 1

My boots sink into the ground.

The trees are still dripping with water from the recent downpour. As much as the old me used to like rain, now it's just a nuisance. It puts a strain on my organized supply runs.

My organization and tendency to plan ahead is one thing I didn't lose to the Waves.

The first Wave hit about 6 months ago. The lights went out around mid-day, and our phones stopped working. Turns out it was an EMP strike, and it made cars and planes stop working too. That's when my parents first considered that the world was possibly ending. The thought crossed my mind as soon as I saw the damn ship in the sky with my own eyes.

But I've always been pessimistic.

Just like right now. Judging by where the sun is in the sky, I'm going to be late getting back to the abandoned gas station I stay in. I hate being out in the dark, especially since the first wave hit. Because there's no city lights anymore, once the sun goes down, its pitch black. It's easier to get lost when it gets dark. Even though I've walked the same way since I've been on my own, there's still a good chance I could get lost. The night makes all the trees look the same.

The thought of having to walk in the dark has me in a full sprint.

I make it back to the gas station with at least an hour till sun down.

Sighing, I yank open the door and the smell of mildew greets me. There are still water stains from months ago inside.

The second Wave was a literal wave. Earthquakes were trigged, causing tsunamis almost everywhere. We were fortunate that we didn't live on the coast. Even with just a lake it caused so much damage to the surrounding cites. I don't even want to think about the coastal cities. My family and I left our house after the second wave hit.

I go sit in my corner, and pull out a can of beans and a water bottle I got today. I shuffle around a bit, and I feel the cold metal of my mother's necklace sliding around my neck.

She gave it to me when the sickness got worse.

The third wave was a plague that was carried by the birds. It's known as the Blood Plague, or Red Death. It was a terrible sickness that was spread through the air. My mother became terribly sick with it and died. Then she gave it to my little sister, and she was too weak and couldn't fight it off either.

Once Audrey passed, I ran and found shelter in this gas station. It had been almost completely ransacked, but it's a decent enough place to stay. It beats sleeping in the woods.

I toss the empty can and I don't watch to see where it lands.

I freeze when I hear the roar of the engine. I thought all the cars stopped working?

It must be one of those men that shot at me in the woods a few days ago.

The headlights stream in through the windows so I know this vehicle is close. I slowly creep towards my backpack, which hold my knife. I know, the knife can't do much against a gun, but it's better than nothing.

The engine stops and I hear deep voices outside but I can't understand what they're saying. I move towards the window, trying to get a better look.

I feel my foot hit something, then I'm falling. And I fall straight into an empty shelf and I knock it over.

The voices outside cease.

I sit up and retrieve my knife, that managed to fly out of my hand. I look to see what I tripped over and I roll my eyes when I see my empty can from earlier about five feet away. Of course, my dumbass self trips over my own can.

I jump up and run towards the bathroom when I hear the first bang on the door. I grab my backpack on the way and lock the door behind me. The first is followed by three more.

My heart rate sky rockets when I hear front door forced open.

The sound of footfall edges closer, and closer, until the stop right in front of the bathroom door.

I jump out of my skin when the door knob jiggles.

I sink as far into the corner as I can.

The person hits the door knob with something, and they do it a few more times until it falls off.

I raise my knife which makes it obvious that I'm shaking.

The door swings open, and my breath catches in my throat because the first thing I see is a gun in my face.

"Drop your weapon!" the bearer of the gun commands. I don't even budge. Not until I notice the army uniform on him. That's when I spot the second guy. He's in a uniform too, and is also pointing a gun at my face.

I decide to drop my knife out of respect. My mom always told me to respect people of the military. I kick it towards the men. The second guy, which is shorter than the one I initially saw, picks up the knife without taking his eyes off me. Taller guy yanks me up by my arm, frisks me, then proceeds to check my bag. Shorter guy keeps his gun pointed at me the whole time.

The taller guy says something first, "hello, I'm Sergeant Andrews and this is Private Ross, and we're from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. We have instruction to take any children we find back to the base to Camp Haven. We have an old school bus outside waiting, you should come with us." The was defiantly not a suggestion, considering Private Ross' gun is still trained on me. Seriously, what is an unarmed short girl going to do to a guy whose buddy has his gun in my face.

I just nod and Private Ross picks up my backpack and grabs my bicep and leads me outside. When we get outside I see the muddy footprints I left that lead straight to the door of the gas station.

Nice going dumbass.

Private Ross and I get on the bus, and I walk towards the back and pick a seat next to a brunette girl, that can't be more than 10. I give her small smile before I sit down, she just looks at me with fearful eyes.

Me too little girl, me too.

Hi! So i really hope you enjoyed the first chapter of Decrepit, and I'll try to makeup my mind about an updating schedule! Thanks for reading!!