𝔒𝔫𝔢 ~ Faded

"Well done, Fallenpaw!" My mentor, Twigleaf, congratulated me warmly. I looked down at the small pile of prey I had collected and a strong surge of pride flowed through me, from my tail tip to the tips of my ears.

Two mice, a vole, and a sparrow. It was pretty impressive, huh?

"No fair!" Pebblepaw protested. The blonde she-cat glared at me jealously. "She just got lucky with a light, long-legged body type."

"Pebblepaw!" Her mentor exclaimed sharply. She looked up at him sheepishly. "Sorry Fallenpaw," she grumbled.

My ear twitched in surprise. "It's okay, Pebblepaw. You did nothing wrong, in fact, you make a valid point." I turned to her mentor. "It's not her fault she's got heavy pawsteps. It's just in her genes. You should go easier on her."

I'd seen him criticising her heavily before. Step lighter for StarClan's sake! They can probably hear you all the way at Twolegplace! Run faster! Even Poppykit could run faster than you!

Okay, okay, she'd grumble back, before promptly failing. She was clearly trying her hardest, though. 

You will be assisting the elders tomorrow.

What?! Why? She'd cry.

You failed to follow instructions.

It wasn't a rare sight.

I don't know why I hadn't spoken up about it before. I guess I'd always been the perfect apprentice, and I didn't want anyone to think of me differently.

I guess it had paid off though. Because I was seen as a perfect apprentice, most cats actually took my thoughts into account.

"Hmm, well... I guess maybe you're right," the tom - his name was Ashpelt, I believe - reluctantly agreed. 

Pebblepaw glanced at me in surprise, gratitude flashing in her eyes for just a heartbeat, before she looked down again at her pitiful prey, consisting of a smalll shrew and a mouse.

"I envy you," Pebblepaw admitted to me that night. "You're so perfect. You couldn't be clumsy if you tried."

Thanks to me, she wasn't on elder duty today. Some other apprentice was.

"You try your hardest." I told her firmly. "And that's all any cat asks of you."

"Not Ashpelt." She sighed. "He keeps trying to push me harder and harder, it's like he's playing with me, trying to see how far he can push me before I snap." She looked over at me.

"How do you do it?"

I hesitated, trying out words in my head. However, instead of a sentence forming, a plan came together instead. I smiled.

"Let me show you."

...

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Pebblepaw whispered uncertainly as I led her into the woods.

"Of course! We'll be fine, I promise." I smiled at her comfortingly. I knew should never make a promise I can't keep, but it helped her relax.

"If you say so."

"What are you failing at?" I asked the pale golden she-cat. "Everything!" She replied without hesitation.

"Don't worry. You won't be struggling from now on. I'll help you, I promise." I said firmly.

"Let's begin."

...

"It's unlike her to be late..." A voice. "Maybe she's just tired. She does work so hard." Another. A kinder, softer voice. Who were they talking about?