Chapter 12

I woke up in the middle of the night: thunder. I ran outside, Tris right behind me. Quickly the crew went to work. Storms were a common thing on the ocean, but this one was particularly terrifying. The captain was yelling out orders to people. It wasn't the first time he had to deal with situations like these, but the fear in his voice was clear. And that was never comforting.

"Captain, I've never seen waves as big as these!" yells Keymis.

"Just focus. Every second we waste worrying is a second more we risk losing his fight. Come on men! Stay strong!" The captain's words rang in my head as I scrambled to move all the cargo away.

"This is her goddamn fault. I should've killed her when I had the chance! Now, we're all going to die!" yelled Easton.

"Are you seriously blaming the weather on me?" screamed Tris. "All I've done ever since I got on this boat was save all your asses, so count your blessings that I'm here!

- Shut up witch! This was all part of your plan, I know it!

- Why don't you shut up!

- Both of you stop it!" The captain's booming voice could be heard even through the crashing of the waves onto the deck. "We have no time for this petty quarreling!

- But, captain-

- No, Easton. No more. Stop this right now! I respect each and every person on my ship: man or woman. Now I do not want to lose any crewmember. So get back to-"

Screams. Mine, Easton's, all the crewmen. But none were louder than the captain's as an enormous wave sweeps him away from the boat and down into the ocean. We rush to the side of the boat and wait. 10 seconds, 20 seconds, a minute. He never resurfaces. I stare the sea wide-eyed. He's gone. The captain...is gone. I barely have any time to come to this realization, that I hear another scream.

"Help!" It's Keymis. I turn around just to see him taken away by another wave. Geare tries to pull him back, but ends up disappearing into the water with him.

I can't move. I'm glued to the ground, my fear paralysing me. I hear nothing, I see nothing. I feel someone grab my arm and try pulling me away, but I can't take even a step.

"Come on Stef!" pleads Tris. "We have to get to a safe place!"

I finally come to my senses and she starts leading me towards the cellar. Verney and Raleigh are already there. Alvel rushes inside. Easton is just a few steps in front of us. Right before we reach the room, the door is shut right in our faces. I fall to the ground, Tris on top of me. We scrabble to get back to our feet as Parker comes up behind us. He tries to open the door, but to no avail. It's locked. He starts screaming:

"Let us in! Please, I beg of you! Let us in! I don't want to die!" Voices are heard inside, yelling.

"Easton, open up for them!

- No!

- What the hell Easton? Open up!

- She's out there!

- Open the damn door! We can't let them die!

- I refuse to let that witch inside!"

I'm panicking. My heart is beating out of chest. I can't see two feet in front of me and I can barely breathe. I start pounding on the door, desperate.

"We can hide in the rooms," says Parker.

"They're on the other side of the ship. We'd never make it," I tell him.

"Well it's better than staying out here!

- Parker, no!" Not two seconds later is he pulled away by the waves continuously crashing onto the deck.

"Parker!" yells Tris, sobbing.

I continue pounding on the door, refusing to give up. Finally it opens and I pull Tris in with me.

"You sent us all to hell.

- Oh shut the hell up Easton!" says Verney. "Where's Parker?" Tears form in my eyes. "Oh." We all stand there, staring at each other. Out of the ten people on this ship, only six are left. Half the crew is gone, half of our closest friends, half of the only family any of us had left. I can't hold back. I sit on the floor and cry. Tris comes by my side and leans her head on my shoulder, her tears staining my already soaked shirt.

"We don't have time for this pity party. We need to get up and get moving," says Alvel.

"And what exactly are we supposed to do?" asks Raleigh.

Alvel thinks for a moment, taking on the captain's role, as he tries to think of a plan. "Emergency supplies. We have to wait out the storm but we don't know how long it'll last. It could be weeks before the sky clears up. We need to get food, water, and whatever medicine we can find.

- You mean you want to go out there?" asks Tris, incredulous.

"We don't have a choice.

- I'm not going out there," says Easton.

"That's fine. Anyone else want to sit this out?" We all look around at each other, hesitant. No one really wants to go back out, but we understand the necessity of getting supplies.

"I'll come," says Verney.

"Me too," chimes in Raleigh.

"Thank you, men. The others, you can stay here. No use in all of us going." Grabbing nets and rope, the three of them get ready.

"Alvel," I say. "Please don't die.

- I'll do my best Little Poison. You're going to amount to amazing things, I know it. Take care of your girl.

- Oh, Alvel." Tris gets up and hugs him, sobbing silently. I do my best to hold back from crying. He hugs her back, sighing loudly. Verney places a strong hand on his shoulder.

"Alvel, if this is our last ride, I want you to know, it was an honour being with you all these years.

- I second that," saya Raleigh. "You are not only an amazing pirate, but an amazing man.

- I could not ask for better people to fight by my side for what may be my last time. Thank you...my brothers." They hold themselves tightly, as if saying goodbye.

They all turn to Easton. "Are you sure you won't join us?" asks Verney.

He stands up, shakes each of their hands firmly, and says: "It was a nice run." He gives them one last look before going to the very corner of the cellar and lying down.

"Alright," says Alvel. "Let's go men."

We never saw them again.