Chapter 1: THERESA

CHAPTER 1
Theresa

It must sound like paradise when the Dominion tells us and our children about the upcoming purified life. It is on the screens we pass by on the streets and even explained in an easy way in our child cartoons. It is the norm we live in. Therefore we should be accepting. Be thankful towards the government to give us a chance.

   I am not saying that I am being ungrateful or disrespectful towards them. I just have my protests, that's all.

   Another sudden thought that slithered into my mind hastily. That must be the seventh one this minute. I can't simply keep my head with things. Project 6 will soon grasp another load of us and it might just be me this year. I want to believe it is led by the government and that I don't have to worry. Breathe, Theresa. Everything will be completely fine. 

   I turn up the volume of my music device as I watch the city of Olith rush past me below. This city metro was the new great invention. Builders of Olith said that we should not dig into the ground anymore to build. Why not settle our busses and trains into the sky? It would have been the greatest idea one had ever made. The Dominion is proud of what it is, that I am sure of. They think they did everything by themselves. That are the source that keeps Olith standing. That Project 6 will keep us safe forever here within the city walls.

   Me? Having doubts about the Dominion? Never. Right?

   I jerk my head up when I am at my stop, Section F. I keep my headphones in as to distract myself so I do not have to talk to other people at the train station. Sometimes I feel like that is the only way to act normal, also I like my music. It calms me down in a world like this.

   I make a quick stop at the coffee place where there will always be the only moment I pop out my headphones. Since the forests had been burned down before the Dominion or even Olith ever existed this coffee place has made its metaphor by placing plants by booths and inserted the smell of a forest. From sound boxes we can hear bird noises and the sounds of leaves being brushed against each other. This will always be the only place I prefer to go to. Because it has such perfect technology of showing what once was. Without hesitation I walk to the counter and order what I always order; a caramel latte. 

As I am sipping on my coffee I pace down the Platform, onto Olith's bright streets. It is close to dusk but yet Olith could make it feel like it was day no matter what time it was. I notice some security guards talking with each other and suddenly I am weirded out. I feel like they are watching me. I always do. As if I had done something so secret that I do not even know about it. I stand against the exit wall of the Platform for a moment and close my eyes, finishing my warm drink before throwing the empty cup away. When I turn my head they now look specifically at me. For longer than three seconds. They cannot simply be joking.

   Hoping they were just checking on people and liked being freaky, I start to pace my normal route home. Through the city, past skyscrapers and business people. Until I make a short cut into an alleyway. I saw one of them pace after me, just for about two seconds to see if I wasn't running away from them. In fact, I wanted to. But if I would I know I would get all of them to run after me. Breathing in and out I stand against a wall and turn my music up once again to calm me. Frowning I pull out my inhaler and breathe in. Damn you, asthma. 

   Feeling a bit more zoned out now, I start to walk home easily. That was scary.

''Hey honey,'' mom had already put dinner on the table. ''How was school today?''

   I shrug, taking out my headphones and resting the device aside. I fling my backpack in a corner and look at the dinner mom made. Streak with beans. At least the government is giving something decent for us to eat. 

   ''Are you alright?'' mom asks me. ''It looks like you have ran a marathon.''

   ''I am fine,'' I ensure her and sit on a chair. ''Just extremely tired. I think I am going to bed after dinner.''

   ''Oh, uh,'' she looks at me worried. ''Haven't you heard?''

   I frown and look up at her. ''Heard what?''

   ''Every teenager between sixteen and eighteen has to take a blood sample at seven,'' mom explains. ''I thought your friends at school might have told you.''

   ''Apparently they are not my friends now since they haven't told me,'' I sigh. ''How long will it take?''

   ''Just about fifteen minutes,'' mom nods but the worry has not left her eyes. ''Plus they have decided to take the people for Project 6 after the samples.''

   I almost choke on my first bite. ''They... What!''

   ''Sorry dear,'' mom sighs. ''I cannot do a thing about it.''

   I shake my head but wave my hand a bit absent. ''I know you can't. Just tell me it is not going to be me. Tell me!''

   ''It won't be, Theresa,'' mom ensure me and grabs my hand. ''You are good. You have been good, right?''

   ''I tried my best to be,'' I stare down at my food. ''Gosh, they are going to take me, aren't they?''

   Mom stays silent. She knows they will. And I know they are. I shake my head and look away from her.

   ''Wherever they will take me,'' I begin. ''I am going to survive it. For you, for dad. For Jimmy.''

   ''Jimmy,'' mom scoffs quickly. ''If there is any way to survive that stuff then he would be back home.''

   ''Stop,'' I quickly say. ''Maybe there is. But maybe he hasn't found it yet.''

   ''I hate to break it to you, dear,'' she turns to me. ''But I am skeptical. Logically the Dominion wouldn't make it easy to survive in their programs.''

   ''How do you know?'' I look at her. ''You look like you know something.''

   ''I know nothing but the truth about the Dominion,'' she spits. ''Now eat and get ready. What's done must be done.''

Mom was really sensitive about what she said at dinner. But furthermore I did not complain. I ate and got myself ready to get my blood taken and perhaps be taken myself. I push a hand through my charcoal black hair and think not twice. It is time, I will have to go now.

   ''You look lovely,'' mom speaks from the door. ''You remind me of me when I went.''

   I slowly turn my gaze from myself in the mirror to her in the opening. She had her arms crossed and sighs staring at her feet for a second.

   ''I am sorry for the things I said at dinner,'' she walks to me. ''I am just worried they will take you from me like they took Jim.''

   ''I will be fine,'' I nod. ''I mean, I am sure I have been good.''

   She nods smiling. ''Come on now, time to go.''

   I watch her turn and walk out of the room. Slowly I turn back to myself in the mirror. Today will be no day like no other. You take that blood sample and you will go home safe to your mother. That is all you will be doing. You will make your mother proud by returning.

   And so, I jerk my head away from the mirror and make my way downstairs.