Chapter 2: DANI

CHAPTER 2
Dani

I pull the hood over my head as I make swift moves through the dark alleyways of Olith. The streets are dark at dusk. It is better, they cannot find us. Us, the people who have never went to the Project's headquarters. The people who never participated. The people who hide. We call ourselves the Silent. The Dominion has never been good and we know it.

   Our hideout is in Section M, the most homeless part of Olith. Here people make fires to get light and we live the closest to the Borders, making us an easier target for monsters of the Outside. There are still arguments about who is Section M's leader but the votes go up mostly for my nephew Tyler Marshall. He has been a great example for the Silent and knows how to stand up to things most of the time.

   Even though security is very high between the edge of Section M and Section L our little group knows to hide in broken buildings and tents. Most of the time they do not even know we are one of them since they ignore us. But they do know the Silent exist and they are on the hunt for us.

   I walk into a little meeting place what used to be a big nightclub and push off my hood once I walk through a crowd of dancing people. Scanning the area I look for Tyler and my brother Evan. They must both be discussing something. I reach a small door and knock, it being opened by one of Evan's friends. He nods when he sees me and lets me in, letting me to my quarters.

   I take off my hoodie and sit on my bed, immediately grabbing the photograph of me, Evan and my parents. My parents. I haven't seen them in eight years. They could be dead, or the Dominion could have taken them. For all I know they could be both. I put the photo back.

   ''Where have you been you idiot,'' I look up when I hear a voice coming from the entrance. ''I thought the Dominion had taken you.''

   I look into the eyes of my brother. ''They'd have to get on their knees and beg first.''

   He scoffs. ''Stubborn,'' he rolls his eyes. ''As always.''

   ''You mean smart?'' I raise an eyebrow but laugh. ''I was out getting some stuff, do not worry.''

   ''Well, glad you are back.'' Evan nods and puts something down on the floor, a plate with food and fresh milk. I smile softly.

   I walk over and take it from the floor. I stuff myself with the breads and beans before I throw back the milk hastily. I have no idea where Evan got this from but he must have handled it very well to get. After my delicious dinner, I rest on my bed and stare at the ceiling for a long time. Oh what I would do to live in Section A. Having this kind of food every day, not once a month. It would be a dream come true.

   Suddenly, when I hear a high pitched scream, I sit up quickly. I notice how the music has dimmed. Something weird is definitely going on. My guts fear the worst and I think I am definitely right about it.

   ''Dani!'' Evan moves his head around the corner of the room, breathing heavily. ''You have to come, right now!''

   ''What the hell is going on, Evan?'' I wonder frowning.

   ''I think it might have been your concern already,'' Evan looks at me. ''It is the Dominion. They have found us.''

   Shit. ''How could they have just found us?''

   ''I think there is a traitor in our midst.'' Evan sighs before he motions for me to get up.

   I get onto my feet and walk out of my room, right back into the club. I notice Tyler has been pushed on the floor to his knees along with some of his friends. I want to walk over and help him but Evan quickly grabs me by the shoulder. He looks me dead in the eyes.

   ''No,'' he warns me. ''You'll only get us in trouble too.''

   ''But Tyl-''

   ''There is nothing we can do for him, Dani,'' Evan looks at me. ''I am afraid this won't be over.''

   ''You must be joking, right?'' I frown at him confused. ''That is our cousin over there!''

   ''He is the beacon of danger in Section M,'' he explains. ''A leader. And we are his cousins which means we already are in danger automatically. It's best we do not step in.''

   I sigh but remain silent. Maybe I should just wait. Maybe there is indeed nothing I can do about this. But that is always what happens. I shut my mouth. That is how it is supposed to be. I try to keep myself at all times. Then I get reminded; you can never save everyone.

   ''Load him up!'' One of the Dominion guards shouts to the others and Tyler gets lifted up.

   I look at Evan, who still holds up a hand to me to stop me from doing what I wanted to do. This is not fair, they cannot just do this! I watch how they drag Tyler out of the building, then look back up at Evan. He shakes his head and I look down.

   Who knows what they will do in Section A? I do not suppose give him the life he has dreamt of. Maybe hand him to the Project. Or maybe even worse, kill him. I can't have my nephew be killed for living his life here.

   ''Evan,'' I gulp as they yank Tyler up by his arms. ''Don't tell me Tyler is helpless.''

   ''Be quiet for gods sake, Dani,'' Evan hisses. ''You are going to get us taken.''

   I want to struggle against his words, tell him he is a coward for not standing up to the Dominion but I know that in the end it is not worth it after all. The Dominion takes illegals and snatches innocent teenagers from their homes pretending there is some sort of test waiting for them. They take it all and there is no stopping them. Yes, maybe. If it was legal to punch the government in their faces.

   I watch how the now unconscious Tyler gets dragged with the soldiers. If only the people more closer to Section A knew what was going on here at the Borders. It was a wish of mine that still needed to be fulfilled.

   I fiddle my hands as Evan pulls me away from the situation and sighs.

   ''Watch yourself, little brother,'' his grown up voice speaks to me. ''You could just be the next wanted man.''