b e g i n n i n g

Lauren Mavis was a complete stranger to Jughead Jones

Lauren Mavis was a complete stranger to Jughead Jones. What was once a friendship, full of secrets and shared cigarettes, had faded years ago into small smiles and awkward eye contact throughout school. But how could he stay her friend while she became someone he couldn't?

One particular day, Jughead was in the same class as Lauren. He sat a row over, a couple seats behind her, leaving him windows to steal glances at the back of her long orange hair. The English teacher was passing back tests from the Friday before, slowly making his way through the isles in between desks.

Lauren smiled to herself as she seen the big A on the top corner of her paper. English was the only subject at school she would excel at; sure, she was good at all subjects, English just happened to be the top one.

The bell rang, which created a chaos of students rushing out of the door as fast as possible to lunch. Lauren collected her things and made her way to a picnic table outside. She had her earbuds in nearly instantly, and ate her lunch alone.

She was just finishing her lunch when Jughead Jones sat across from her, rather suddenly and unexpectedly.

"Lauren Mavis." Jughead said.

She took her earbuds out and wrapped them around her phone. She didn't say anything to him.

"I have a proposition." He said. She finally looked at him. "I'm currently working on a novel that is going to uncover the truth of Jason Blossom's murder on July 4th. I would like your assistance."

"Jughead, we aren't going to do this thing where we act as though we are still best friends." Lauren stated softly, standing up. Her voice was nearly a whisper, as though she didn't talk to anyone in a long time. Which was nearly true.

"Lauren.."

She continued walking, entering the school. The bell dismissing lunch rang sooner than expected. Students were rushing through the halls in an endless hurry to get to their classes on time.

"Lauren, listen," Jughead said as she opened her locker. She didn't realize he followed her.

"No." She said in a low voice for only them to hear. "I... I have to go to class."

There was a reason Lauren didn't want to talk to Jughead. Actually, there were quite a few. They were strangers now, and no one liked to talk to strangers.

The halls were nearly empty, only a student here or there as they ran late.

She closed her locker and looked up at him.

"I'm sorry." She whispered, and jogged to class.

Like
Comment
Share!